VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know of a way to emulate the AD-LIB MIDI card on today's machines? I'm looking to play MIDIs in general (not from any specific game or application) as though they were being played on an AD-LIB card.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First, forgive me for inserting a hyphen in the Adlib name (even if Adlib is "Ad Libitum (at will)" for short). Correct name is AdLib, without hyphens.

Yes, I think there are capable windows players for midi somewhere. Deliplayer comes to mind.

http://www.deliplayer.com/

It plays 230 sound formats. I am not sure if midi too, but you could give it a shot.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 7, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It needs to play MIDIs as if they were being played in an ancient DOS game like TIE Fighter -- that's what I meant by AdLib. This is a Windows MIDI player... I have serious doubts it can do this. Do you think it can?

Reply 5 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shoal wrote:

Wow... this is actually kinda funny... DeliPlayer 2 can play something like 280 file formats, but MIDI isn't one of them! 😮

That's because it mainly deals with various music module formats, such as .mod, .s3m, .xm, .it and all the other clones that were made in the 90s. It's mostly for playing old obscure formats from the Amiga era.

Reply 6 of 7, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The main advantage of DP2 over DP 1.30 was the much awaited MIDI support, which actually never came out. I think AdPlug has support for MIDI playback through AdLib, though I didn't try this feature personally.

[Edit] Sounds like AdPlug can only play MIDI files specifically tailored for OPL-based synths.