VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. Another thing us blind folks are coming up against again and again are those verification systems where you have to look at a picture and type in what you see in the picture in order to get in to the site. It's damn frustrating. home of the underdogs are now doing the same thing with their downloads. I've written an email to them explaining my situation but I haven't gotten a response. I'm sorry if this post appears a bit off topic but I didn't know where else to go. In order to download any file from the underdogs website, you need to look at the picture. Can anybody help? is there someone that works with the underdogs people reading this?
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We do not support abandonware.

With that said....I'm assuming your using some sort of text to speech or brail or something? Couldn't OCR be used to translate the image into something you could read?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole point of those images is to make it impossible for automated programs or hardware to read the text, in order to prevent people from leeching or hammering the download servers.

I'm not visually impaired, but it has occured to me on many occasions that using those image verification systems is rather insensitive.

whocrazy, you might want to try starting a discussion on Home of the Underdogs' forum (if it's working - it seems to go down a lot)

Reply 5 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, the verification string seems to stay the same for a while, so you might at least be able to get someone else to tell you what it is (on a forum or in an email) and use it to download a few files before it changes. It's a crappy workaround but might work as a last resort.

Reply 6 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Erm, just out of curiosity: how is a blind person going to use any of the games that are to be found on HotU? Except for text adventures, don't all games rely so much on graphics as to be unusable to the visually impaired?

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 7 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. I recently read in EGM about a blind guy who play's console games, he listens to the sounds and bases his actions on that, pretty amazing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm... I did play a game of Worms across the phone once (voice connection, not modem). My friend described to me what was on screen and I told him what to do. He won, by a very narrow margin.

Somehow, though, I doubt that this is a very common practice. So, whocrazy, care to explain?

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.