VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rokujolady

User metadata

Hey there,
I downloaded dosbox for OSX, thinking excitedly that I could play some old games on a game-barren operating system.
Alas I was wrong. I mounted my drive with
mount d /Volumes/7thguestorsomething -t cdrom
Which gave a satisfactory reply (like it was actually doing something useful like starting MSCDEX). I even fired up the install program from the cd (or in another case, started the game from the directory I'd mounted as c
The drive whirred to life and in the case of the 7th guest, the install program started--and then spewed out an error that I didn't have the disk in the cd drive.
The same for my other game which I started from c:--it seemed to read for a split second and then pertly told me I didn't have the cd in the drive.
So I'm starting to think that there may be an issue here.
Anyone else use the OSX version of dosbox (0.63, I think) and have some problems with this? I can't be the only person having this problem, and it seems to me that not being able associate the cd drive with a drive letter (at least in the eyes of the game) is a big deal.

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you need some parameters more when mounting cd-rom like supplying a valid label or input-output control.

E.G. mount d d:\ -t cdrom -label 7thg -ioctl -usecd 0

Type mount -cd to see some options.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should try the CVS, some CD fixes have been implemented. Not sure where your going to find a precompiled OSX binary tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by sydneycarton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've found that I can get the farthest with mounting /Volumes/cdblah with no flags. (It's a symbolic link (I think) to the mounted cd drive that acts as a directory on your hard drive and not a cd) It will at least launch things from the cd and spin up and read the cd. It inevitably freezes up at some point, but that might just be my extremely scratched cd.

Reply 5 of 9, by rlsuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this exact same problem with 7th Guest and I haven't figured out how to get around it. Anybody got a definitive answer as to why you can access the CD to run the install, but then get a message saying that the CD is not loaded?

Reply 6 of 9, by banasw01

User metadata

Same problem with 7th Guest.

Dosbox cdrom support seems still a bit weak. I wanted to get The 7th Guest working with Dosbox. I also wanted to play Fantasy General for DOS and be able to hear the CD Audio. So far no luck. I am using Ubuntu Linux 5.04.

I did intro cdrom in Dosbox and tried the best mount command I could come up with:
mount d /cdrom -t cdrom -label T7G_DISC2 -usecd 0 -ioctl
I run D:\INSTALL.BAT and it says that "The second disk of The 7th Guest is not in my CD-ROM drive..."

The second idea I had was to setup cdrom support in config.sys and autoexec.bat. I found autoexec.bat section in my .dosboxrc, but I have no clue where is the config.sys? I would throw in something like:
[config.sys]
DEVICE=C:\CDROM.SYS /D:123
[autoexec.bat]
C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123

I also tried to use an old dos program called FAKECD. When I tried to use it, FAKECD said that I need to increase number of drive letters in config.sys. Well, since I don't know where is the config.sys in dosbox, I did not know what to do. I tried "SET LASTDRIVE=Z" with no luck.

Bottom line:
1) original 7th guest cd says there is no install disk in my cdrom drive.
2) I do not hear CD Audio playing with original Fantasy General CD.

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

banasw01: for reference, what version of DOSBox are you using and under which OS? You might try a recent CVS build (see the development forum), as numerous CD-ROM and filesystem fixes have been made since 0.63 (the latest official version).

Also, DOSBox doesn't have any native support for config.sys stuff. There are tools that let you load .sys drivers from the DOS prompt, or you can install a real copy of DOS inside of DOSBox to get config.sys support.

Reply 9 of 9, by BackwardsCamel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may be fixed in CVS as mentioned above. I did get around this problem in 0.63 using a couple tricks. I think the problem has to do with the program/batch files changing the working directory but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I have my cdrom mounted pretty much the standard way:

mount d /cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0 ioctl

I see the problem if I just run the install.bat file on the root of the cd. If I change into the actual install directory and run the install.exe with the cdrom drive letter as an argument the install goes through.

d:
cd t7g\install
install d:

The install goes through but hung on me for the last file (xmi.rl I believe). I checked the install directory and all the files including the last one seem to be there and the correct sizes. When you try and run the game you get the same kind of error, asking for disc one even though it is in there. I found to get around this you must first make sure you are in the root of the cdrom, and then run the v.exe program in the install directory.

d:
c:\id\t7g\v !

Using this way the game starts up and seems to play fine. The big unknown in this method right now is what will happen when disc 2 is needed. I guess I will have to play through it now to find out. But this may be a good workaround for people too lazy to install CVS.