VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Noob, natch. Just discovered DOSBox recently. I have ahd good luck getting games working with one general exception -- the mouse flies all over the screen making games that depend on the mouse virtually unplayable.

I have tried changing cycles, frameskip, and sensitivity, as well as most other things too. Note that my mouse is not USB -- is that the problem?

Running on an older P3-450 with WinXP. Any help is appreciated.

Bob

Reply 2 of 8, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it could be that your computer is too slow for running the games you're trying in dosbox.
Emulating requires a lot of power. I'd say my P3 800 turns into a 386 in dosbox. Anyway search the forum for setting that get the max out of your computer in dosbox.

Iampiti

Reply 3 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it could be that you have your frameskip so high that everything is way choppy, but that you're only noticing it with the mouse cursor because the game(s) you're playing don't have much animation.

Reply 4 of 8, by wrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Which game, which version of dosbox?

The version is 0.63

The games, well, all that used a mouse. Guns or Butter, SimEarth, and Dogfight. The games that used keyboard interfaces (FireTeam 2200 and Empire) worked at least as fast as they did on an 8088. I'm leaning toward the idea that this machine is too slow.

Thanks for the reply!

Reply 6 of 8, by wrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

You ought to be able to run 8088 games on there. Try setting scaler=none, run in a window, and set frameskip below 3.

Moved the game setup to my work machine (Dell D610 Pentium M-equipped laptop) and the mouse is smooth as silk without any playing around with the config.

I need a new game machine. Yep...