VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recently downloaded DOSBox. It is great. With it, I can use one of my favourite programs: WordStar. I do have some minor problems that do not appear in the FAQ (that comes with the program) and that might be due to my non-game use of DOSBox.

1) When I start DOSBox, the first window displays:
CONFIG:Loading settings from config file c:\DOSBox\dosbox.cfg
SDL:You are running in 24 bpp mode, this will slow down things!
MIXER:No Sound Mode Selected.
MIDI:Opened device:none

This is as it should be, except for the second line. What is 24 bpp mode? How do I change it?

2) It does not appear possible to do cut-and-paste with the main DOSBox window. Is it possible? If so, how?

3) The main DOSBox window includes the line
For a short introduction type: INTRO
but the command is not recognised.

4) I am using DOSBox as an operating environment and would like to as much as possible. What is involved in getting it to recognise more DOS commands. Is it simply a matter of setting the path to point to the Windows versions, or are only certain versions acceptable to DOSBox?

5) Are there any issues with having more than one DOSBox session open at once?

I suppose that my use is somewhat unusual. I am not concerned about graphics (as WordStar is text only) or sound or any other peripherals besides storage. I am concerned about processor speed and screen updating. Given this and the above numbered points, what do I need to do to tune DOSBox appropriately for my use? Pointers to additional FAQs and such are very welcome.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm 24 bpp
is the colordepth of your screen inside your os. Dosbox prefers 16 bit color
2. not possible
3. intro should work
4. you can use freedos utils inside dosbox. or you can boot an actual version of msdos inside dosbox
5. well if they don't use the same files (mount the same directories) there shouldn't be any issues.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

uhm 24 bpp
is the colordepth of your screen inside your os. Dosbox prefers 16 bit color

Ah, "bits per pixel"? No wonder it is not adjustable. I was thinking it might have to do with frames. (Just a mild case of TLA poisoning.)

3. intro should work

but does not. "help" does, but not "intro".

Thanks for the help.

I like the article on asking questions. I have thought of writing one. The one you point to is very comprehensive, so now, I do not have to.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko