VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by drambeldier

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

the first try to run DOSBox shows a window which tells me, that DOSBox runs DOSBox, behind lays a DOS prompt showing the message "Exit to Error: Can't set palette". Both windows disappers after 3 Seconds.I don't even know what a palette is. It is not possible to enter whatever at the DOS prompt. Can anybody help?

Ooops: I run Win2000, installed from DOSBox0-1.63-win32-installer.exe

Thanks in advance
drambeldier

Reply 1 of 1, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First make sure your hardware is correctly installed and you have the latest drivers (or the most stable ones) for your mainboard/video/sound hardware. Also make sure you are running your desktop at 16bpp or 32bpp. DOSBox doesn't like 24bpp resolution.

Go to the folder where you installed DOSBox and edit (with Notepad for instance) a text file called dosbox.conf (yay! you guessed it... It's DOSBox configuration). Look for this section:

[sdl] # fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. # fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen. # fullfixed -- Do […]
Show full quote

[sdl]
# fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen, use together with fullfixed.
# output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.
# autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.
# sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lower,normal,higher,highest.
# Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=640x480
output=surface

And make sure output=surface. Save changes and rerun DOSBox. Does it work now? If not, try setting a different setting (like overlay). If it's still not working try getting and replacing SDL.DLL from www.libsdl.org

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)