VOGONS

Common searches

Noise problem

Topic actions

First post, by hawat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As soon as I launch my dosbox I get very annoying continuus noise. Sound is working just fine inside games. But when ever the machine stops playing any sound, I get this noise back.

Do you have any idea where it comes from and how could I get rid of this?

Reply 2 of 7, by hawat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it's a constant background noise, like a buzzing. It's almost as if dos box amplified the static (parasite) noise of my sound card. I get it also in any software I run under dos box. But any sound played by dos box covers the noise.

Don't know if I need to give any more details?

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check your sound card's mixer control utility or Windows' Volume Control utility to make sure that all outputs are muted except for Main/Volume Control, Wave, and Synth. It may also help to keep all sliders at 80-90% instead of 100%.

Finally, make sure you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers, sound card drivers, and DirectX version installed.

Also, make sure you're using decent quality speakers and cables to avoid picking up RF interference from other devices such as your monitor.

Reply 4 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

The problem is I get the noise only under dos box, I get an amazing sound under windows and in all actual games.

My sound volume is at about 25% in the sound mixer (not even close to 80%), and I need to rise it only for DVDs at about 40%. Everything is working great except dos box. I can rise CPU cycles or rise frameskip it doesn't change a thing.

I have the last version of everything.

I'm using high qualitiy sennheizer headphones directly pluged in my sound card, and again I'm having no problems with them, except dos box.

That's why this noise seems so strange to me, and I can't think of a solution for it.