VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerard

User metadata

Thanks for writing dosbox.
Thanks to it, I can run my Psion Series3 emulator (s3aemul) for the first time in a windowed multitask environment (neither dosemu, nor win 95 nor vmware could do it) . It is only a bin slow (slower than native msdos on a...p166 when running dosbox on Athlon 3GHz), but correct for the usage.
(See http://www.delafond.org/psilin/index.html#emulateur)

A few questions :
-the settings of my french keyboard is a pity. Only the letters are good. The numbers and other signs are "random". I saw I could use a keyboard layout from freedos. Is there a complete explanation ? Is there a good explanation on how to use the keyboard setting utility, specially with Shift and AltGr functions ?
-the background of the Psion emulator is grey in windowed mode (see my webpage), but white in Fullscreen mode. Is there a solution to get it always white ?
-I would like to use a dos window of 480x160 pixels (the size of the Psion emulator). Is it possible ?
-I cannot access to F11 and F12 keys. Why ?

Thanks again for this amazing job !

gerard@delafond.org

Reply 1 of 5, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've read your page, and I'd advise you to use the autoexec section of the config file in order to mount drives and launch applications when DOSBox starts.

If you want more speed, you can try to use the dynamic core (edit the config file)

1)You just have to load the FreeDOS keyb from a mounted directory in DOSBox. (just add a "keyb fr" line in the autoexec section). It's a bit odd that the letters work properly, but not the other keys, though... You may have to set your native keyboard to english or change the key bindings with the mapper (ctrl+f1)..

2) That souldn't happen. The psion emulator is unaware of the DOSBox rendering mode, and DOSBox renders the same picture, watever the display mode.. It's probably a driver issue on your side. Try changing the output method (config file, again).

3) I'ts not possible to reduce the size of the window.

4) Have a look at this patch : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234

For further questions, I'll advise you to browse Pseudopode's DOSBox Manual from <blink>La clinique des jeux videos</blink>.

Reply 2 of 5, by twickline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerard wrote:

-I cannot access to F11 and F12 keys. Why ?

You could try the cvs build from : http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm
I see the 07/19/2005 build fixes the F11/F12 keys.

Reply 4 of 5, by Gerard

User metadata

1)You just have to load the FreeDOS keyb from a mounted directory in DOSBox. (just add a "keyb fr" line in the autoexec section).
Re: anything I write in [autoexec] section has absolutely no effect.
If I exec keyb fr manually after installing french layout from freedos, i get...a qwerty layout !

It's a bit odd that the letters work properly, but not the other keys, though... You may have to set your native keyboard to english or change the key bindings with the mapper (ctrl+f1)..
I can get , and ; working. For ;, I need to type Shift ;.
For the numbers, I only can get ' when typing 4 and - when typping 6, " when typing Shift4 and _ when typing Shift6.
+= works fine.
The numpad works fine, but it is of no help in Psion emulator.

2) That souldn't happen. The psion emulator is unaware of the DOSBox rendering mode, and DOSBox renders the same picture, watever the display mode.. It's probably a driver issue on your side. Try changing the output method (config file, again).
??? (not a real problem. Only strange).

3) I'ts not possible to reduce the size of the window.
🙁 (not a real problem - only more elegant to display the exact window.

Thanks

Gerard

Reply 5 of 5, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the autoexec section has no effect, then the config file is probably not loaded. The config file loaded by default is dosbox.conf. You can load another file with some command line paramter (check the readme).

The behaviour you describe for the keyboard is very weird. Did you try to set your host keyboard to qwerty, then apply keyb fr inside DOSBox. It's probably your best bet for success.

BTW, are you using v0.63 or a later CVS build? Earlier versions of DOSBox tried to map the host layout to the emulated layout, but with moderate success.