VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using DOSBox-X (and have considered DOSBox-staging) but I'm confused on the different output options and I can't find any detailed explanation.

For example, DOSBox-X shows the following in the quick-setting drop-down menu:

• Surface
  • OpenGL
  • OpenGL nearest (openglnb)
  • OpenGL perfect (openglpp)
  • TrueType Font (ttf)

I would guess that openglpp ("pixel perfect") is the best since it sounds like the most accurate but I'm not sure? Why would the other options not be pixel-perfect?

There really is a ton of options and it's a bit overwhelming. Is there a guide to the most accurate settings? (I might want to add a CRT shader but thats about it)

Reply 1 of 1, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is not the place for asking questions about DOSBox forks. There is a dedicated DOSBox-X thread you can use to post questions in. This thread will likely get locked soon.

In any case "OpenGL Pixel Perfect" is unfortunately a bit of a misnomer. It is not perfect. See this issue about problems with it: https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/issues/2448

The TrueType option only applies to text modes, the moment you use a graphical mode, it will no longer get used. But for pure text mode DOS programs, it provides a very nice output.