VOGONS

Common searches

Please help me!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Handoyo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I'm completely new to this software/program that I just came across today. I have tried reading some FAQs that you have posted here but I really still don't understand a thing. 🙁 So, can you please answer a few simple question?

1. Do I have to have the game CD in order to play the game?
  2. If not, how do I play a game? All I have done is the installation of DOSBox Win 32 Installer which I found here but I have no clue what to do next.
  3. So, if I want to play this game (Romance of the Three Kingdoms III), what do I do next?

I have read this (Follow these guidelines when...) topic and I will try my best to give my computer specifications.

• Motherboard: ABIT NF7
  • Processor type and speed: AMD Sempron 2 GHz (Not really sure. 😖)
  • Amount and type of RAM: I don't know what's the type but I think I have 1 GB of RAM.
  • Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Please be kind enough to understand that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computer stuff. I'll really appreciate it if you can give me a "DOSBox for Dummies" kind of guide. 😁 Thanx!

Reply 1 of 2, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. It depends on the game
2. Read README, newbie guide in DOSBOX Guides, wiki documentation, INTRO command in DOSBOX.
3. You must have the game (you cannot download any game from DOSBOX site). Then follow instruction from 2. Come here with details: I did this, this and this and there was an error xxx...
Just try to read a bit...

Closing...

Mirek

Reply 2 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First. Just because you don't have the knowledge doesn't mean you are an idiot.

In a nutshell: In order to use DOSBox you need to mount (activate) as many drives as the program you are going to run would need. Let's take this scenario:

A game installs a portion of itself (loader, loading screens etc) into the hard-drive (normally C: drive) and then reads the remaining data from CD when its needed. In this case you need to get access to a drive C: (this is where the game is to be installed, where you write your savegames, etc) and a CD-ROM drive (where you install from and you read data from). So, you will need at least two different drive letters (HD and CD-ROM)

E.g.

Z:\>mount c c:\
Z:\>mount d d:\ -t cdrom

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)