VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ithkul(waitin register)

User metadata

Here's an odd issue:

Im trying to get dosbox working at work with the two games ; Arena and Master of Magic.
I made them both run smoothly (no sound, so i disable all sound support in conf). But the mouse moves strangly. I tried two diffrent mouse, both have the same problem. both act the same way in both of the games

the mouse follows my movement pattern, but at a delayed rate 4-6 sec. but the really odd thing is that if i stop moving the mouse it stops instantly. then if i move the mouse the other way it continous the way i was moving it the first time(before i stopped moving it). its like it has memorized my movement. so it has to move out those movements before it can make new movements.

ie. i try to click a button. but the mouse loves to be offscreen. i slowly move it towards the button, but its moving past it or above it. then when i try to stop and move it in an other direction it continous the way it was going. very annoing. with practis i been able to "aim" buttons. 🤣

any idea what can be done? 😢

Reply 3 of 10, by ithkul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tried cycles from 1000-10000. tried frame skip from 0-10 on diffrent cycles. tried with and without sound. with and without CD-rom. more memory and less memory. etc etc

will check cpu info next time i boot it. think im behind some major firewall and admin-user-limitations.

Reply 5 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, mate, just 128MB for a P4 2.6? - Heh
You would notice a hell of a difference going from 128MB to 512/1GB (specially for Windows XP).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 10, by ithkul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

did u know that is most cases 256 Mb ram 333 Mhz preforms less than 128 Mb ram 400 Mhz?

anyway its the office computer at work. only used for MS office programs etc.

just beaten MoM on easy dif with this mouse issue. was a nightmare. 🤣 🤣

Reply 7 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ithkul wrote:

did u know that is most cases 256 Mb ram 333 Mhz preforms less than 128 Mb ram 400 Mhz?

I find this very hard to believe... I have heard the opposite (not much point in having quicker RAM). Having 2 times more RAM is far better for WXP than any increase in memory speed...
Anyway: using 128MB for WXP is crazy... Ok, I guess it works (well I remember W95 worked on 8 MB), but well if you had 1 GHz processor and 256 MB memory, it would be better for WXP ...

Mirek

Reply 8 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never noticed a significant change in performance as a result of changing memory clock speed, but I admit I haven't experimented much. I do find it extremely hard to believe that a 100% increase in capacity brings less performance than a 20% increase in speed, especially when the difference between any amounts of RAM up to 1GB (1024MB) is quite noticable.

Reply 10 of 10, by Guest

User metadata

using dosbox v.0.63 ofcouse.

note that i might be wrong about the memory thing. but thats quite off topic. I dont think ram is the issue sins the game itself runs smoothly. damn computer. have to say it again. this is not my personal computer. so upgrading it is out of the question.

still not been able to make the mouse work... 😢