VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bobbo1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After getting Pool of Radiance SOUND to work in .61 but not in .63 I gave up for a bit. I have come back to it now, and after some tinkering I have figured out that the reason is due to the change in the way tandy sound is activated.

In .61, it was possible to run the machine as VGA but use Tandy sound emulation. For PoR, the Tandy sound works good, but I would prefer to use the EGA emulation rather than Tandy. The config file for .63 does not have the tandy sound flag, since it says that now 'If machine = tandy, then tandy sound is on".

Is there a way to override this? Can I get tandy sound with VGA machine? Or am I stuck using version .61 for this one game and .63 for my others?

Thanks for any help!!

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you are stuck unless you modify the source of dosbox to allow tandysound with vga graphics. (1 line)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

you are stuck unless you modify the source of dosbox to allow tandysound with vga graphics. (1 line)

This was discussed before, in thread Tandy 3 Voice?. There I wrote:

Tandy sound should be configurable independently from Tandy graphics, for two good reasons: […]
Show full quote

Tandy sound should be configurable independently from Tandy graphics, for two good reasons:

1) Computers used to exist having Tandy sound + VGA graphics
2) Games exist with allow a configuration of Tandy sound + VGA graphics

I really hope this time the DOSbox developers will bow to our arguments.

Unfortunately, you never picked it up (no response whatsoever). Please read my posts in that thread, and please decide to make the Tandy sound independently configurable from graphics! (Or, alternatively, if you really persist in your (wat is 'halstarrig' in het Engels? 😀) 'I only want to have configuration options that resemble an actual machine' ways, make a TandyVGA machine option. They did exist, really!)

JAL

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm maybe I will change the option for tandy sound as follows:
tandy-- possible options:
tandy=default =>on when tandy mode else off
tandy=on =>always on regardless of the machine mode
tandy=off => always off

Whould that make you feel happy ? ( I haven't seen a feature request for it though 😉

Reply 4 of 10, by Bobbo1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. What is especially frustrating is that a prior version had it right! The supposed 'upgrade' did away with the nice feature of being able to emulate a Tandy+VGA.

Reply 5 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:
hmm maybe I will change the option for tandy sound as follows: tandy-- possible options: tandy=default =>on when tandy mode e […]
Show full quote

hmm maybe I will change the option for tandy sound as follows:
tandy-- possible options:
tandy=default =>on when tandy mode else off
tandy=on =>always on regardless of the machine mode
tandy=off => always off

Whould that make you feel happy ? ( I haven't seen a feature request for it though 😉

Why not? You said just one line of code needed to be changed.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it takes up space in the configfile. Thereby making it more complex and increasing the risk of somebody doing something "stupid"

Reply 7 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Erhmmm. We better don't get paranoid due to n00bs. Besides, the n00b should learn in time... 😁

PS - And I am not saying that you don't have a VERY VALID POINT, Qbix. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)