VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, everyone!

I keep reading a lot of threads asking the same thing over and over. Just for instance, we have replied two of them today.

It seems some people are having problems running DOSBox fullscreen, even if DOSBox works just fine on a window. In some cases they get a blank screen or the screen is too big (or too small) o is uncentered or out of synchronization.

Most of the times, the solution is QUITE SIMPLE. Some monitors/LCDs/TFTs etc may be expecting some FIXED RESOLUTION for running in fullscreen and many people isn't aware (or doesn't care) to know that DOSBox doesn't use a FIXED FULLSCREEN resolution by default. Keep in mind that TFTs come with a "native resolution" as preferred one and while they could do other resolutions, it won't be the same because they don't work as common CRTs. They are less permissive and things tend to look worse on other resolutions than native one. For instance, my TFT has a native resolution of 1280x1024. All other common resolutions work too, but they look slightly blurrier.

To solve this problem...

Edit dosbox.conf (inside your DOSBox folder) using a text editor (like Notepad, if you are using Windows). And look for the two parameters (must be editted together):

fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768

These are the default parameters for DOSBox, i.e, not use a FIXED resolution when going fullscreen. We want to specify one, so we must change the values to...

fullfixed=true
fullresolution=1280x1024

The example above will make DOSBox always switch to 1280X1024 resolution when running FULLSCREEN.

Have fun!

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a program that can report the native resolution of a TFT? Something that n00b's can run and it say's "Use this resolution first above all others?".

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know the existance of such program but it would be useful. Now, does anybody know if TFTs also use DCC to report their features to the Operating System? Are they Plug'n'Play too?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking....SDL could check the OS for what monitor is reported to the OS...it could then configure it's settings for that monitor.

Only thing is that I don't think there is a native res option....wait a sec......whatever the current desktop resolution being used by the host computer should be the resolution that DosBox uses for TFT users.

So if SDL can check host resolution and then use that for Dosbox then that would probably work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a brilliant idea. If desktop resolution is working (obviously), DOSBox should setup that resolution by default (as safe-mode so to say), leaving you the option of changing it when you like (by editting dosbox.conf of course).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)