VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kharille

User metadata

Dosbox is amazing. I didn't realize what a great time I would have in these past few months ever since someone suggested it one gamefaqs. However, after doing a defrag this weekend I'm getting some really distorted sound.

I have no idea whatsoever. With my expertise all I can do is defrag again and play with sound options but nothing works.

Anyone had this before? I've tried reinstalling dosbos, reinstalling the games. Sound in general for my normal pc operation is ok but not for dosbox specifically.

Bloody annoying, hard to anticipate that defrag screws up so badly....

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

why do you think something is wrong with dosbox.?
are you certain that your harddisk is in good shape ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem may be with your Windows mixer -- it buffers (& mixes) audio to the harddisk (somewhere between 4 - 100mb at a time); depending on the drivers, it may allow some tweaking. Check free space too!
Also try get a fresh copy of the various support .DLL files, as there may be a "sector rounding error" attached to one of them.

Reply 5 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

I did try reinstalling the game and dosbox. Quite a few times too. Bloody annoying. I tell you, these past 2 months were so damned fun. I can't believe defrag screwed up so badly. I got to avoid using that from now on.

All the usual contemporary games work. But I'd prefer to play pirates gold.....