VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eric40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using DOSBox several times over the weekend to play a DOS game. I have a SONY Vaio laptop computer. I was using DOSBox again on Monday night and the machine crashed - it just turned off while in use and didn't turn on again. Ever.

Reply 1 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I doubt that dosbox is to blame
maybe your pc overheated ? Did you overclock it or so ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, DOSBOX did not crash your machine... It is a relatively simple program, which does not install anywhere deeper into system (no shared DLLs, no drivers).
And in any case: no program should ever destroy hardware (I understand that your comp does not work at all). Well, there were some viruses - but that's different.
When you go with you daughter in your car and it suddenly breaks down, do you blame her for breaking the car?

Mirek

Last edited by mirekluza on 2005-07-27, 15:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this:

1.- Unplug your Vaio from any power adapter.
2.- Pull off the battery of your computer.
3.- Wait some seconds... or some minutes...
4.- Put on the battery and try to turn on the computer.

I don't believe DOSBox is related to your problem... it could be a hardware problem or a windows crash.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 9, by Eric40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it overheated. I waited a while for it to cool down to restart it, but it never restarted. I went through a troubleshooting procedure on the phone with a computer tech person from Circuit City Computer Support Plus. There was nothing that got the computer started. I sent it to get it fixed. Hopefully the hard disk is alright. I can't do a darn thing about it if the data was lost. I thought DOSbox was good for playing games. It worked nicely. I know that it didn't cause a Windows crash. The thing overheated or something went wrong with the hardware.

Reply 5 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah dosbox uses a lot of cpu power.
If you have a cooling problem then when you run dosbox it might show up.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really. Download a program like SpeedFan or Motherboard Monitor and see if it can monitor your computer internal temperature and/or CPU temperature while using DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vaio: expensive crap. 😀
I would have suggested applying pressure to the memory sockets to see if that got it working. Those solder joints go bad all the freaking time.

Yes, it’s my fault.