VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pirkonen

User metadata

I do enjoy gaming while im at work now days cause everyone is on vacation and i'm in it-support so i dont have much to do.

every time i need to go somewhere i need to lock my computer for safety reasons and every time i get back and open it dosbox has shutted it self?
is there an option which allows me to keep it open while win is locked or do i have to try to save the game before i move.

i have windows 2000 and the only reason i use dosbox is that i can play in a window which i can multitask away when someone comes near me :> fullscreen is too visible

Reply 1 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand a word about what you said. Do you mean that you are using the SUSPEND (to RAM - to Disk) function and DOSBox doesn't come up when returning from it? What do you mean by "locking" your computer?

Elaborate, please.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

might have been fixed in the cvs.
at least if you were talking about fullscreen related stuff

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 12, by pirkonen

User metadata

im a scared to even begin playing adventure games like space quest if the game closes everytime im too long away from my computer or i have to go somewhere and have to lock it up.

or if someone know how do i get windows dos-prompt to stay in a window when i start the game? the game forces the window to go in full screen and if i alt+enter it just says FROZEN and will freeze :>

Reply 8 of 12, by NO CARRIER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

interesting.

unfortunately my computer here is stand alone with a single user, so CTRL+ALT+DEL does not present me with the Lock Computer option, instead it brings me straight to Task Manager so I'm unable to test this out for myself. (Windows XP Pro SP2)

When you open DOSBox and type Intro you'll notice at the bottom in green it says, "DOSBox will stop/exit without warning if an error occured!" ... sounds related, no?

I would be interested to know a few things:

1) when you unlock your computer, even though DOSBox disappears is it still taking up memory as an active process?

2) what happens if you minimize first, then lock? .. how about full screen, then lock? and last, have you tried different screen resolutions? Perhaps a problem with redrawing the application when unlocked?

3) have you tried locking your computer without an application open in DOSBox?

If there are still problems I'd try enabling compatability options just to see what happens...

+++ath0
NO CARRIER

Reply 9 of 12, by pirkonen

User metadata

dosbox shuts down even if i only press ctrlaltdel and windows shows me the windows security window dont even need to lockup..

it seems that dbserv.exe stays open.. or it might be only this time cause i selected it from the windows task manager processes list and then pressed ctrl+alt+del

no matter if its minimized or fullscreen (fullscreen fucked up my resolutions too.. left it to 320 or something :>) and same thing if you have a game on or you dont.

i think it might be some sort of.. dataflow..continual..thingie.. when i press the windows security window open it over runs everything else and when dosbox stops getting cpu cycles it just dies. so the question is how do i ensure the dataflow from windows to dosbox? :>

i think i tested too much.. now it wont even start.. good thing i just got off work..

Reply 10 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think it might be some sort of.. dataflow..continual..thingie..

You really have no clue about how Windows works so please keep the conjecture at home 😀 The security dialog merely runs on a different desktop to that of the standard desktop. If you really want to learn the details, look up GINA in Google... Something I had to implement for an NT4 application many years back. Had many a blue screen boot with that 🙁 😀

I've just tried locking my session whilst DOSBox is running. When DOSBox is running windowed I have no problem. When running DOSBox fullscreem (fixed at 1280x1024 with opengl output) the DOSBox window is badly redawn somewhat between being displayed and not (sorta hard to explain as you can imagine!). This is with the 0.63 release of DOSBox with a default config bar the settings mentioned.

Reply 11 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've noticed the behavior he's experiencing. Since I juse many different CVS builds (some with different SDL vers) and don't experience the behaviour that much I never really notice it. For those experiencing the issue try different SDL versions, I'll see if I can find the different SDL's I have and see if I can recreate it problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline