VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by UnBeatWater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I need to interface with a DOS app, it simply takes keyboard input (text mode).
And I would like to do it via an STDIN-STDOUT Interface.

Last edited by UnBeatWater on 2023-08-08, 20:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by UnBeatWater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-08-08, 14:25:

DOSBox is only intended for games, not applications.

But the DOS-based app runs perfectly fine under DOSBox. Also if you're telling me that I shouldn't be using DOSBox for this, just give me a DOS emulator (I'm planning on installing FreeDOS in Qemu to get what I need) that runs on Debian GNU/Linux 12 Bookworm that uses a STDIN-STDOUT Interface.

Reply 4 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UnBeatWater wrote on 2023-08-08, 19:46:

I'll just use qemu.

If you are using Linux as operating system, you might also want to take a look into the dosemu or dosemu2 project. This is slightly more lightweight than using qemu.

Reply 5 of 7, by UnBeatWater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-08-08, 20:07:
UnBeatWater wrote on 2023-08-08, 19:46:

I'll just use qemu.

If you are using Linux as operating system, you might also want to take a look into the dosemu or dosemu2 project. This is slightly more lightweight than using qemu.

Just making sure, does it support soundblaster? Since the app is an ancient speech synthesizer.

Reply 6 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UnBeatWater wrote on 2023-08-08, 20:14:

Just making sure, does it support soundblaster? Since the app is an ancient speech synthesizer.

As we are currently in a dosbox subforum of VOGONs, we shouldn't discuss the alternative DOS emulation solution here in too much details, but yes: dosemu and doesmu2 do have soundblaster emulation. I was one of the primary developers that sent patches to dosemu to create usable soundblaster emulation in the late 1990s, but that code has since been re-written.

Reply 7 of 7, by UnBeatWater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-08-08, 20:29:
UnBeatWater wrote on 2023-08-08, 20:14:

As we are currently in a dosbox subforum of VOGONs, we shouldn't discuss the alternative DOS emulation solution here in too much details, but yes: dosemu and doesmu2 do have soundblaster emulation. I was one of the primary developers that sent patches to dosemu to create usable soundblaster emulation in the late 1990s, but that code has since been re-written.

Great, I'll update the post title