VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking through some old posts of mine recently, and I stumbled across one where I asked about building a 32-bit version of DosBox on 64-bit Arch Linux, since I was having performance issues with the dynamic core. Turns out, at the time at least, DosBox didn't even have a dynamic core in its 64-bit builds.

It's been six years now, I'm itching to play Carmageddon again, and I wonder if that's changed at all. I suppose I could keep running the Windows version of DosBox in Wine if I want to use a 32-bit version, which is what I've been doing for a while, but it feels silly to be doing this when I could be using a native version instead.

Also, if anyone's missed me, hi, I'm back. 🤣

Reply 2 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2023-08-24, 10:35:

DOSBox has had a 64-bit dynamic_x86 core in SVN for about five years now.

I see. Did that ever make its way into the 0.74-3 release?

I recall there was also an issue regarding 80-bit FPU precision in 64-bit builds. Did that get resolved too?

Reply 3 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote on 2023-08-25, 02:17:

I see. Did that ever make its way into the 0.74-3 release?

No, because 0.74-3 was only a security fix for 0.74.2.

I recall there was also an issue regarding 80-bit FPU precision in 64-bit builds. Did that get resolved too?

The dynamic_x86 core runs FPU code on the host's FPU directly so that isn't an issue.

Reply 4 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I'm going to look into DosBox staging, or keep using 0.74-3 in Wine then. It would be nice if it were easier to install a native 32-bit version of 0.74-3 on my distro (EndeavourOS) but I guess that's not in the cards.

About the FPU thing; when did DosBox start running FPU code directly on the host? I could swear there used to be an issue with 64-bit builds running with only 64-bit FPU precision, causing weird vertical bars in Carmageddon.

Reply 5 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote on 2023-08-25, 06:03:

About the FPU thing; when did DosBox start running FPU code directly on the host? I could swear there used to be an issue with 64-bit builds running with only 64-bit FPU precision, causing weird vertical bars in Carmageddon.

Every other core besides dynamic_x86 has to emulate the x87 FPU.

Reply 6 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2023-08-25, 06:37:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote on 2023-08-25, 06:03:

Every other core besides dynamic_x86 has to emulate the x87 FPU.

So, if I'm getting this right, the 64-bit FPU precision thing only affects non-dynamic cores, and since the main 64-bit build lacks the dynamic core, that's why it has that bug, right?