VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by andyabbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I set up Dos32A so that I can use the sb command from any directory? At the moment if I want to use it I have to copy the dos32a and sb exes to the game directory i want to use it with. I want to be able to call the sb.exe from any directory I am in. Is this possible. i tried set dos32a=c:\dos32a (which is where its located) and it didn't work. Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming you have both EXE files in the directory c:\mydir, you should be able to add that dir to the path variable, like so:

set path=c:\mydir

Then whenever you try to run sb, DOSBox will first check the current directory, then any directories in the path.

You can put multiple directories in the path like so:

set path=c:\mydir1;c:\mydir2;c:\mydir3

You may want to check to see if there is a default path defined in DOSBox. In fact, Z:\ is probably the default path so that you can run the DOSBox built-in utils from anyhwere by default. If this is true, then you should be able to do something like:

set path=%path%;c:\mydir1;c\mydir2;c:\mydir3

This will add directories to the end of the current path string.

You can see the current setting by running:

set path

or:

echo %path%

Reply 4 of 4, by narech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have DOS32A installed in C:\DOS32A then add:

SET DOS32A=C:\DOS32A
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\DOS32A\BINW

to autoexec.bat (or dosbox.conf [autoexec] section). This is what DOS/32A installer does for you if allowed to auto-config the system files.

With this setup you can now use STUB32A.EXE instead of binding DOS32A.EXE to your apps (sb -rs appname.exe). The advantage is that it's easier to switch between DOS/32A versions this way. STUB32A is a small program that finds DOS32A.EXE, either in the current directory, in %PATH% or in %DOS32A% environment vars (in that order). It is then sufficient to only replace one instance of DOS32A.EXE and all the programs bound to STUB32A will use the new instance. You can even rename dos4gw.exe to dos32a.exe (the inverse of the method some ppl use) and then DOS/4GW will become the default DOS Extender.

Cheers,

- NK