VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Will DOSBox emulate a 16 bit environment on Windows XP x64 Edition for installing apps using 16bit installers?

Thanks,
Taen

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on what you mean. It won't allow you to install and run 16-bit DOS or Windows apps natively in XP 64 because DOSBox actually emulates a PC running DOS.

DOSBox can (or will - I don't know if it's been tested) run fine on 64-bit platforms and will allow you to run 16-bit DOS applications inside of it. With CVS builds you can install Windows 3.1 or 3.11 and run 16-bit Windows applications inside of DOSBox as well.

Reply 2 of 10, by Guest

User metadata

Ok I understand now how it is designed...Is there any way to write a wrapper that will integrate it into the WOW64 or windows x64 interface? I think that anyone that can write a dos emulator that will spawn when existing 16bit installers ask for the 16bit environment for .file registrations and such would have a HUGE market. Is that something that could be done with this application or is it too far fetched? Or is there something already out there that I am not aware of?

Thanks again,
Taen

Reply 3 of 10, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many games to Windows from 96-98 that were not released for DOS still have a 16-bit installer program, despite the executable of the game is 32-bit.

Windows x64 can't run 16-bit exes, but can run 32-bit exes. The same will most likely apply to the future x64 version of Longhorn, err, Windows Vista.

So even it the game would run perfectly, it's not possible to install them. And no, it's not possible to use DOSBox to install them, unfortunally.

Another problem is the newer games that use StarForce copy-protection, since it won't work with Windows 64-bit either. Same problem arrived with 2000/XP as some copy protections only works with 9x.

Anyway, I've already started to do "backups". Do the largest install with the early 96-98 games and then burn the installed folder + register stuff to a CD. Don't have too many of those titles, though. That way I should be able to run it on future Windows x64 systems relatively easy.

Reply 4 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Except for OS checks, it seems like it might be possible to install those games in DOSBox while running Windows 3.1x, then run them natively in Windows x64

Reply 6 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Freddo wrote:

Many games to Windows from 96-98 that were not released for DOS still have a 16-bit installer program, despite the executable of the game is 32-bit.

Windows x64 can't run 16-bit exes, but can run 32-bit exes. The same will most likely apply to the future x64 version of Longhorn, err, Windows Vista.

So even it the game would run perfectly, it's not possible to install them.

As far as I know Wow64 does support some 16 bit installers. The ones it should support are Microsoft ACME Setup V2.6, 3.0, 3.01 and 3.1 as well as Installshield V5.x. I don't have a 64bit system on which to test it but that should be what WinXP should do for you.

Reply 7 of 10, by Kytta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Freddo wrote:

Another problem is the newer games that use StarForce copy-protection, since it won't work with Windows 64-bit either.

Problem here is that the number of games that use Starforce is increasing. Here's a current list of such games: http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html. It's going to be a rough awakening for gamers since most developers probably won't uipdate their then 1-2 years old games. Well, yet another reason not to use Starforce, all other issues aside.

Reply 9 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I don't follow the particulars of copy protection that much but in the case of SafeDisc it's just a matter of them releasing a SafeDisc driver that's 64bit compatible....I'm not sure if SafeDisc started out as a driver or not but for the last couple of years it has been. The game interfaces with the CD through the driver so a 64bit SafeDisc driver should make any game reliant on SafeDisc work.....and of course there's always CD cracks.

As far as "gamers" are concerned......64bit won't be the average on the desktop for quite some time so I doubt the vast majority have anything to be concerned about....

Also I highly doubt that the number of games with copy protection is increasing....heck almost every single game I've bought in the last couple of years has had copy protection on it so I'm sure the numbers have remained pretty steady.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The common theme with most game publishers seems to be to have copy protection on the CD installable version of the game, but then disable/remove it after a patch or two if enough people complain of problems.

Side note: One nice thing about making backup copies of your games is that you can add a folder with patches, no-CD cracks, and other useful stuff so that you don't have to go hunting all around the Internet whenever you want to reinstall the game from your backup discs.