VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Axel84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello first of all to the round. I've been a long time reader of the forum and have gotten some great tips here. But now I need your help.

It's about the German advertising / freeware game Tony & Friends in Kellogg's Land. It was developed by Factor 5 in 1994 and is one of my earliest childhood memories. For a long time I've been trying to get the game to run error-free, but no chance. No matter if DosBox (or DosBox-X) or 86Box. Either the game is too slow or it starts with severe graphic errors. For example the whole screen is blue or the water is not visible.

The game must look like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECJCrh06cYE

You can download the game here:
https://archive.org/download/Werbespiele/Tony … oggs%20Land.zip

Of course, the best would be a good option for 86box. I hope you guys can help me!

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 6, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah yes, one of the titles that made me get back into physical DOS machines because it just would. not. work. anywhere else. Fwiw dosbox-staging (0.80.1) doesn't run it properly either. Maybe give QEMU a try... or start looking for hardware.

Reply 2 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seems to work fine in DOSBox with default settings except: machine=vgaonly, core=normal, cycles=10000. The vgaonly machine type is needed for water to look as it should, and the core and cycles are needed for the sound to work. Of course you should also run the game's setup and enable SB sound with port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.

Reply 3 of 6, by Axel84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2023-09-11, 20:44:

Seems to work fine in DOSBox with default settings except: machine=vgaonly, core=normal, cycles=10000. The vgaonly machine type is needed for water to look as it should, and the core and cycles are needed for the sound to work. Of course you should also run the game's setup and enable SB sound with port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.

It don't work for me. It is very slow and the sound stutters. Maybe there is another setting in my DosBox-X installation that I have no idea about?
Is there an equivalent of "vgaonly" at 86box? Some graphics card setting or something?

elszgensa wrote on 2023-09-11, 20:39:

or start looking for hardware.

I'm afraid that's not a realistic option. Less for me than for my wife, ha ha. ^^

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The guidance I offered is for official DOSBox (0.74-3 or SVN) but may not work for forks. The cycles=10000 setting prevents stuttering on my system; however, you may need a lesser or greater value on your system.