VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hello all.

Recently, my DOSBox v0.63 has been acting really sluggish when playing Wolfenstein 3-D. It never used to up to a few days ago, and this is not an issue of CPU cycles.

Before, I could increase the cycles at least twelve times before slowdown. Now I can only increase them about five times. Not only is the game less smooth at this speed, but the music stutters abysmally.

Any ideas on what has caused this random event? I have reinstalled it, but to no avail have I seen any improvement.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

any other background process in windows running? An anti virus program or personal firewall?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

The problem still persists! I have closed my antivirus software/firewall and just about every non-system process I can think of. I have even formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows XP...

In addition to the noticeably slower gameplay, the screen flashes are more clumsy. Say I pick up an ammo clip - instead of the screen suddenly flashing white, it slowly drifts down the screen, taking a full second. The same for being shot - instead of the screen temporarily bleeding red, this slow layer of transparent red moves its way down the screen. Extremely annoying.

What the heck could this be? It was working 100% correctly a mere two days ago - BEFORE I reinstalled Windows!!!

Reply 6 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

My videocard drivers are fully up to date, installed freshly yesterday. Every other modern game plays fine. I have tried several different versions of DOSBox behind 0.63 and each of them have the same problem.

I have fiddled around with the memory and priorirty settings of the config file, but to no avail can I get the game to speed up again.

How exactly would I edit the core settings?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Reply 7 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CVS versions are actually newer than DOSBox 0.63. Check the development forum for more info.

Look in the dosbox.conf for info on the core= and output= settings.

Also, it may be worth running a virus and spyware scan if you haven't lately...

Reply 8 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@guest:

Did you read this thread? DosBox is unbelievably choppy throughout the game

It contains a few suggestions, that you might wanna try...

Good luck, regards,

Ronald