VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tonyturbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya guys, just popping in to say hi. Downloaded dosbox and installed tonight with no problems, followed your guides about mounting games etc and all working fine. I have a few questions though.

Managed to find an ISO of 500 old pc games on the internet but when i run them in dosbox they appear in real real bad resolution and general bad quality. When i was a little lad the graphics were nothing like as bad as im seeing now. they look like real old acorn style graphics, whats going on, i thought they would look exactly like the original. Am i doing something wrong? Few games in question, silent service 2 was a massive fav of mine but when i started it up the graphics were pure evil, just square blocks. Hope some of you guys can help me, some real old classics i would love to play again.

Reply 2 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the thing is, when you played these games back in the day your monitor was probably smaller (less than 14" maybe) and back then the graphics would have been comparitive to other games making it seem better. Today on larger displays it looks pretty bad. 😖

The best thing I can suggest is maybe using a custom CVS that has an hq2x filter. That would help smooth things out a little.

However it would help to see some screenshots in case there really is something wrong.

EDIt - By the way another idea: Perhaps you are trying games such as King's Quest or other sierra onlne games? Some games have two versions...one older and a newer VGA version that might be the one you wanted.

Reply 3 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

avater_58: I concur with your explanation. Displays are a lot larger and sharper now, and modern games take advantage of this, so running old games on modern hardware really shows their age. Playing with DOSBox's scaler options is definitely something to try.

Reply 5 of 18, by Guest

User metadata

thanks for the replies guys. Havnt got a great deal of time tonight to post screenies etc so will do it tomorrow. But thanks for some tips. I just dont think you understand how bad they were, im talking seriously blocky, like a car would just be made up of square blocks 🤣. Will post some shots for you tomorrow

Reply 6 of 18, by tonyturbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm that last post was mine just wasnt logged in 🤣..Anyhow here is a quick one before i go out tonight. This is a shot of indy500, it never ever looked this bad.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4831/indy5000wk.jpg

Reply 7 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something is definitely broken there. Palette is totally messed up.
Do you have latest drivers for videocard/direct-x?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is your machine set to "VGA" in the dosbox.conf? Is there a command line option for that game to run in vga modes as oppposed to the CGA which it seems to be using? 😐

I don't really know this game so I can't give an accurate resposne. Any other shots of games that look messed up?

Reply 10 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Underdogs has it.

I seem to remember there was either a separate EXE or BAT file for each graphics mode (CGA, EGA, VGA), or maybe it was a command line parameter.

Reply 11 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried the underdogs version and there was one exe. It showed up in colour. Works both with CVS and Dopsbox 0.63.

What does your dosbox.conf look like?

Reply 12 of 18, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm able to differenciate 8 colors on the screenshot...
Black, white, magenta, dark cyan, dark blue, very light blue, very light green, and a middle blue in the audience (which may be the result of Jpeg artifacts.

It's definitely not CGA. I don't think it's paletted EGA either (IIRC, but I might be wrong).

Reply 13 of 18, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zorbid wrote:

I'm able to differenciate 8 colors on the screenshot...
Black, white, magenta, dark cyan, dark blue, very light blue, very light green, and a middle blue in the audience (which may be the result of Jpeg artifacts.

It's definitely not CGA. I don't think it's paletted EGA either (IIRC, but I might be wrong).

Good point....I didn't even notice that. 😅

(btw, off topic. Zorbid did you used to visit freeoldies? I could have sworn I saw you there when the english side was active all that long time ago)

Reply 15 of 18, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tonyturbo wrote:

Managed to find an ISO of 500 old pc games on the internet...

Well, you get what you pay for... My best guess is: this CD full of cracked games is damaged. Get legal copies or use your imagination (no, we won't tell you if/how/where it is possible to get copies of questionable legality).

Reply 16 of 18, by tonyturbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so many questions to answer 🤣. Where do i start. Right lets start with obvious. Firstly im using the latest dos box version 0.63. I`m using a raddy X850XT, DFI NF4 with all drivers completely up to date. Have all the latest windows updates and service packs also. Ok, `el pusher about the pallette being messed up, it wasnt actually playing in these colours, it just seemed to change this colour when i took a screenshot and hosted it, the colours were normal but the graphics as you can see are horrific, it is a 90 game and i remember them being alot better than that. It also looks that bad on other games like test drive, silent service 2 and defender of the crown, only ones i have tried so far as they were my fond favs when i was younger. `avatar 58` i will have to look and see about the dosbox config file, to be honest with you i have not changed anything, just installed it and started mounting some games to see what it was like. And as for `moe` had all these legal copies 10-15 years ago but sold them off as time moved along. This is more of a nostalgia thing and wanted to bring back some memories as i saw "500+ old pc games" through kaza and i couldnt help resist. Shouldnt make any difference to the quality, all the game files are there. will see if i can have a look at the dosbox config files, if i can find them 🤣. thanks for all your help guys, i would love to bring back my childhood memories again, had so much fun with my father and these titles when i was so so much younger.

Reply 17 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the colors were normal then the game is as it's supposed to be. I just got the Home of the Underdogs version because I couldn't find my floppy (haven't seen it in years). It's just as I remember it, although it certainly hasn't aged well. Here are some screenshots of it running in a recent CVS version of DOSBox:

Attachments

• indy500-1.png
    Filename
    indy500-1.png
    File size
    15.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    First, running with no scaling or aspect correction. 320x200 looks tiny when I'm running Windows at 1600x1200!
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    indy500-2.jpg
    File size
    131.12 KiB
    Downloads
    87 downloads
    File comment
    And here's a shot running with some of DOSBox's scaling options to make it bigger, if not more pretty.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should also mention that I (or more accurately, my brother) got Indy Car Racing II a few years later and it has much, much better graphics (as well as network play!)