VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Playing Master Of Orion (the first one) through DosBox, if i leave the laptop to drop to power-saving mode and return after 10-15' and open it, the DosBox window has frozen (most of the times).

This is happening to me for the past 5-6 years with 2 different laptops (1 custom, 1 dell), using Windows 10 Pro, fully updated.

The game is bought from GOG but i have replaced the DosBox version with the latest (0.74-3). It froze with the GOG version too, no difference here.

Any ideas on what may be happening? A bug perhaps (either in the game or in DosBox)?

Fruity

Reply 2 of 3, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2023-10-01, 10:17:

Run a different title with same dosbox version and see if behavior changes when you let laptop drop to power-saving mode

Yup, i thought of that but i'm not so sure it would definitively prove that there is a problem with the game.

In any case, MOO1 freezes as long as you lock Windows (press Win+L), while MOO2 does not. StarLords (a pre-MOO1 version) also does not. Both MOO2 and StarLords though, loose the display contents and you must move the mouse around in order for them to be gradually repainted (which is minor compared to the freezing problem of MOO1).

Can this be checked, in case it's a DOSBox issue?

Fruity

Reply 3 of 3, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New data on the matter: it freezes even when the window has remained in the background (not having the focus) for a few minutes (last time it took about 5 minutes to freeze). When the window is active, it has no problem.

Fruity