VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This observation, while referring to the other branches of DOSBox, is primarily about SVN so bear with me.

For a while now I have been building my own SVN in a MacOS environment, which gives me a binary that achieves very fast performance. On average, I see scores of about 1500-1750 on Chris's 3D benchmark and Quake low res frame rates of around 300-400+ range. It is great for running Windows in DOSBox, as I can achieve smooth results when running 3DFX compatible games in software mode. None of this matters for DOS games, of course.

I recently shifted to Windows and I was a bit surprised about the results. Across SVN (my own build), ECE, Staging and DOSBox-X (whether SDL1/2 etc.) I can never achieve benchmarks higher than about 830-1000 in Chris's 3d benchmark and about 90-240 frames in the Quake test. All of the branches are slower, and equally so. This is when using the various dynamic cores specific to each branch. This translates to much slower performance in Windows 9x, so games that were playable in my Mac build are not so much now. This is the opposite of what I expected when switching to Windows. I understand that build environment and variables can affect things, but I did not expect it to manifest such a difference, across all DOSBox variants.

Back to my core observation (pardon the pun), but is there a way to coax better performance out of the dynamic core when building my own SVN in Windows? Before switching my Windows emulation attentions to 86Box, I wanted to raise this issue. I find it interesting and a little ironic that the Mac gives me far superior results. This is all on the same machine by the way, running a dual-boot Mac with Windows 11, so difference of hardware is not applicable. If something is throttling this in Windows that does not affect the Mac, I have no idea what it is.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 2 of 3, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-10-16, 06:34:

Use a fixed cycle count instead of auto if you want consistent results.

I have been avoiding the use of auto, using either fixed cycles (i.e. "fixed 200,000") or "max".

Benchmarks aside, in real world use, I tested against Lands of Lore 2 running in Windows 98. In the Mac SVN build I can set cycles to "max" and get decent if not smooth performance throughout, although with fans sometimes getting loud. In SVN (and X) in Windows I experience sound stuttering and a choppy frame rate on "max" as well as any fixed cycle setting between 77,000 and 240,000. Using fixed cycles outside of that range tends to bog down into unplayable frame rates or freezes the game entirely. On the Mac, playable results (with no audio stutter) are obtained on fixed rates between 120,000 and 200,000 cycles.

I can accept all this and look to other options like 86Box when it comes to Win98x/3DFX. It is just puzzling because I did not expect such a drastic difference when bringing across identical installs/configs from the Mac side.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 3 of 3, by ProDigit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if this is connected, but MDK benchmark always gets me a score of 250 under Dosbox. Probably hitting the 30/60fps vsync; while a P233Mhz natively gets about 225 score points.
And The Lost Eden gets choppy framerates when running at 800x600, like most "3D" games of the time (sprite based).

Dosbox doesn't seem to do well with higher resolutions.
I went from an Atom 1.66Ghz with 4 to 8 graphical EUs running at between 300 and 600Mhz, to a Core i3 3.7Ghz with 48EUs and running at 300-1225Mhz. Well over quadruple the performance.
Also RAM went from 533Mhz of DDR2, to 4800Mhz of LPDDR5; but still the issue persists of crackling audio and slow panning at higher than 640x480pix.