VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by liuk

User metadata

Hi, yesterday I was searching some old cds and found so many good old games, that i had to play them 😀 First i tried vmware with dos 6.22 client installed (I am running Windows XP), but that was just horrible on games, very choopy - sound and even game. Then i found this great soft, my admirations go to developers of it, thanks for doing this.

But now here is my problem, gameplay on almost all games i tried is fine
(Abuse, Turrican 2, Syndicate, Zool 2, Xenon 2, UFO: Enemy Unknown etc.),
but the sound is very choppy, I tried so many combinations of prebuffer/block size and data rate, sometimes it gets a bit better, but very far from satisfy. Few games are ok, like Chaos Engine, but their sound effecs are very simple, that why is that. It is because my computer just cant handle sound emulation or anyone has similar problem and solved it?

My configuration: Intel Celeron 1.7GHz, 512MB RAM, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, ATi Radeon 8500, Windows XP SP2

Thanks in advance and again: I Love DosBox and its developers 😀

Reply 2 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All of those games are later DOS games that are resource intensive. You'll need to use DOS32A, a CVS build of DosBox, Frameskip, and dynamic core to get any kind of good performance on such an old processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline