VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sandanjuu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, first time posting.. I have a couple of questions.

I've tried searching for an answer, but the answer has eluded me.

I won't lie. I'm playing my old school games on my work computer. Now, this I'm allowed to do as long as it's not interfering with anything I'm working on.

This is where my problem comes in.

I can run the games I want to play (MegaTraveller, QfG) without dosbox. They work. They run fast, but I know how to fix that. My problem is, when I run them, they force a full screen mode, if I alt+enter they freeze until I go back to full screen.

I found dosbox, and tried it at home. Worked beautifully. Though, my home computer is considerably better then these computers here.

Here, however, it runs slow. Pitifully slow. Too slow to play. In qfg2 I had to max out the games built in animation speed in order to get it to 'walk' at normal pace.

The thing I don't understand, is why the game runs 400x faster then normal without dosbox, but dosbox bogs down to nothing.

Any suggestions?
I tried following the "guide to speeding up dosbox" but it failed to have any impact.

thank you!~

Reply 1 of 4, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, you really haven't given us anything to work with. What specs is the PC at your work? Proccessor etc. Also what cycles are you running the games at in dosbox? You will need more than the default '3000' in order to run most games at good speeds.

Also try using the 'dynamic' CPU type as it allows you to use more cycles and get higher speeds without stuttering.

For QFG2 you shouldn't need much more cycles than the default though, if it goes terribly slow than perhaps the machine can't handle it, but you are going to have to try dynamic cpu and tell us the specs to be sure.

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Megatraveller, at least, shouldn't be a very demanding game. I am pretty sure he hasn't DOSBox properly configured yet. We need to know everything avatar_58 asked for (CPU specs, cycles, etc) to be able to help you.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 4, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sandanjuu wrote:

The thing I don't understand, is why the game runs 400x faster then normal without dosbox

When the game runs natively on your PC, it uses the real CPU your machine is blessed with. DOSBox on the other hand, has to emulate everything, including the CPU.

I'm sure 400x is a bit of an exageration, but you certainly get the point now.

Reply 4 of 4, by Sandanjuu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty sure I found my problem(s).
First, the work computer is a pentium 3 733 mhz. It's a pile of junk, really. Something like 128megs of RAM, no discernable video card that I can tell.
Secondly, I had forgot (stupidly) that MegaTraveller's space travel was never particularly... smooth.
I was assuming its stutteryness was because of configuration issues. 🤣.

Thanks guys.