VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bf_bullpup

User metadata

Hi,

I'm using the Mac OS X version (0.63). Great emulator! It works with some DOS games without a problem.

However, for a few others, DPMI is required. I got the standard Load error: no DPMI - Get csdpmi*b.zip error message.

I looked at other posts, obtained the CSDPMI files, and I unzipped and installed the 3 .exe files in the same directory as those games. When I tried to launch those games again (after exiting and re-mounting), the application crashes instead of generating the error message again.

One of the games generate a "LICENSE" file when it is first opened normally. I tried to open that game after getting the DPMI message and after installing the DPMI files. DOSBox crashed, but the license file was generated, so it seems that the game was halfway loaded (and generating files) before DOSBox crashed.

I assume this is an issue with the Mac OS X port of DOSBox. Is there a fix or is DPMI incompatible with the OS X version? Thanks.

-Rich

Reply 1 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In general cwsdpmi-games should run under dosbox. Do at least
some games that use cwsdpmi run? Which ones don't?

There are different versions of cwsdpmi, so you could try
another one (r6).

Also play a bit with the dosbox.conf switches like
xms/ems and the memsize.

Reply 2 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I remember some months ago people from Mac complaining about some problems with DPMI (something worked in DOSBOX on Windows but not on Mac)... I do not know whether it was fixed or not. I guess it to be some little endian/big endian bug...

Mirek

Reply 3 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

Hmm, where do I find R6? So far I have only been able to find R5.

I'm learning DOSBox mainly to be able to play more roguelike games. You know, like Rogue, Angband, NetHack, and so on. The games that I've tested and gotten the same failed results:

-NetHack (nethack.org)
-ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery, adom.de)
-Ultra Rogue
-Super Rogue

The original Rogue and Larn are two games that I have been able to run, but while they are roguelikes I think they both are too old to require DPMI.

Am I supposed to put the entire folder containing all the CWSDPMI stuff in the same folder as the game I want to run? Or just one of the .exe files? Or all of them?

Or am I supposed to run CWSDPMI first, then run the game? I tried that, same result. I also tried entering cwsdpmi -p- -s-, hitting Enter, then entering the name of my game, like one it says in the DPMI guide in this forum. No luck.

I'd gladly test other games that require DPMI, if other OS X users have been experiencing success. Only I don't know where to find free games to test as 99% of my software are for the Mac. I play roguelikes because they are free and updated often. 😀

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool, roguelikes. I actually did the 32-bit DOS port of Moria that was (but probably isn't any more) the official one for quite a few years. It required DPMI because I used DJGPP and PDCurses. I don't think I've ever tested it with DOSBox, as I think it still runs fine in WinXP's NTVDM.

Reply 5 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tried adom111, works fine in dosbox under windows (cwsdpmi
is supplied with the package).
So it's likely to be an endian bug somewhere, as mirek said.

What version of dosbox do you use?

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to this: http://www.adom.de/

ADOM for "Macintosh" will be out soon....dunno about OSX. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by bf_bullpup

User metadata

I'm using the OS X version, 0.63. The guy who made it said on his page that he's not supporting it, he just built an OS X shell. Hopefully somebody will release a new version with the bug fix eventually. It's no big thing to me. Most of the newer roguelikes (that doesn't run on DOS) have Mac versions anyway. I wanted to play the older roguelikes that were never ported to the Mac, like Larn and Hack, and I am able to do that successfully. 😁

Yes, ADOM is coming to OS X, but when? I'm pretty sure it will be OS X, nobody makes applications for the original Macintosh anymore. And OS X is Unix-based, so I assume the Unix source needs a Mac shell and it will be good to go.

Thanks for trying to help, everybody. And I remember that Bionic Commando quote. That was an awesome game!

-Rich

Reply 8 of 8, by bf_bullpup

User metadata

To answer wd's suggestion to play with the dosbox.conf file, I just figured out how to do that. The OS X version didn't have that file at first, I had to create it with config and I was able to play with the options. Good thing too, because none of the 3 front-end applications I tried worked. Anyway, I played with the memory protection and upped the memory from 16MB to 64MB. Same results.

I may not be running the games that I want, but I'm able to get the hang of DOSBox. Can't complain too much.