VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gamer725

User metadata

I just want to ask a general question about dosbox versions. I already downloaded version .063 which is working fine for the game I downloaded it for, but now I see another game I would like to download, but it says it needs dosbox version .61. So do I have to download dosbox version .61? Or does dosbox version .63 which I already have, include all previous versions of dosbox, and will it work for the game which says I need version .61 of dosbox?Thanks.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gamer725

User metadata

I guess my message wasn't very clear. I mean that I am presently using dosbox version .63 which was listed as supporting the game I am presently playing in dosbox. Now, on the Dosbox site, I see a different game, called "Arthur, Excalbur" - forget the exact title, but doesn't matter as I am just using it as an example, and it says beside the title, "version .61 Dosbox", which I thought means you need to download version .61 of dosbox. Maybe I should ask this way - Why are different versions of dosbox listed beside different games? Hope this is more clear what I am trying to find out.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could mean many things. Some of the following come to mind:
- It could just be some random version that someone reported getting it to work with
- It could be the earliest version of DOSBox that supports the game
- It could be that the site is recommending it as the version to use (there may be glitches in 0.63 with that game)

I would recommend checking the compatability database as dosbox.sourceforge.net and/or just trying the game yourself in 0.63. The development of DOSBox and the VOGONS community support of it are both very active, so if you have problems with a game in 0.63 (the latest official release) then we'd appreciate knowing about it anyways.

Reply 4 of 6, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is thing...perhaps we ought to tell people that those "Works since 0.61" actually means that it should work in anything higher as well (90% of the time)....because I think some users misunderstand and assume an older version is needed.