VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Boom.dk

User metadata

I have a Logitech RumblePad 2 which looks pretty much exactly like a PS joypad. When I launch DosBox, it's recognized and everything. (DosBox says: Using joystick Logitech RumblePad 2 USB with 4 axes and 12 buttons) Now, when I launch a game in DosBox, say, Jazz Jackrabbit or Rayman, only 2 of the 4 buttons (the ones that's called X, O, triangle and square on PS) works.

How come? How can it be fixed?
Thanks!

Btw, here's the pad:

4208.jpg

Reply 2 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the version of that gamepad that doesn't have rumble support. I get the same behavior (which of course is expected). Can DOSBox at least emulate 4 buttons and 2 axes with the right configuration?

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hunterZ as you always use the cvs you should know that this is possible. It might be an idea to create a new configfile every now and then 😉 😉 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 16, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I have the version of that gamepad that doesn't have rumble support. I get the same behavior (which of course is expected). Can DOSBox at least emulate 4 buttons and 2 axes with the right configuration?

How would you do it? I own the exact same joystick and use CVS...mine is set to 2axis but I still can't get more than 2 buttons recognized. 😖

Reply 6 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

4axis 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 16, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, tested it with Commander Keen 4 but all I managed to get was access to Joystick 1 and Joystick 2 configs (it thinks 2 joysticks are plugged in). Thats close...but not quite there. 😉

Reply 10 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

4 buttons works fine in Wolfenstein 3D. I think Keen just doesn't support more than 2 buttons. I only tried Keen 4 and 6. Interestingly, they both crash (the games, not DOSBox) on me when I try to calibrate the joystick. It could be because I didn't move the stick when it told me to though (just hit the buttons with stick centered).

Reply 11 of 16, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With Keen 4 (and all similar apogee/id games) they want you to select Gravis Gamepad to get all 4 buttons. However that option isn't availble with 4 axis set in dosbox.conf 😅

Reply 12 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's available in Wolf3D (iD) though - that's what I chose. Don't know why the option doesn't appear in the Keen games - maybe you can force it with a command line parameter? Or, have you tried setting up a joystic and trying anyways to see if the extra buttons "just work"?

Reply 13 of 16, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

It's available in Wolf3D (iD) though - that's what I chose. Don't know why the option doesn't appear in the Keen games - maybe you can force it with a command line parameter? Or, have you tried setting up a joystic and trying anyways to see if the extra buttons "just work"?

They don't 😐 During joystick setup it is supposed to ask what buttons to set where so I guess there aren't defaults in order to "just work". I might try a few other games to see if joystick support is in.

Is there any way to emulate a fake Gravis Gamepad, since that is what most games want anyway? Then again dos doesn't check...it just knows the joystick has 4 buttons.

Reply 14 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to understand that there's nothing special at all about the original Gravis Gamepad. It uses analog axis 1 for the D-Pad, simulating the instantaneous push of an analog stick out towards the ends. The buttons are just the 2 buttons of joystick 1 and 2 together on one pad to make a total of 4. Thus, there is no special hardware mode or support needed to make a Gravis Gamepad work in DOS; the only requirement is that the game be able to use all 4 buttons provided by the standard joystick interface.

Reply 15 of 16, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

You have to understand that there's nothing special at all about the original Gravis Gamepad. It uses analog axis 1 for the D-Pad, simulating the instantaneous push of an analog stick out towards the ends. The buttons are just the 2 buttons of joystick 1 and 2 together on one pad to make a total of 4. Thus, there is no special hardware mode or support needed to make a Gravis Gamepad work in DOS; the only requirement is that the game be able to use all 4 buttons provided by the standard joystick interface.

I realize that, (after playing with vdm sound a little) however what would cause games to not see a 4 button joystick when 4axis is emulated? Technically it should work, but something isn't being detected....or not being detected properly. I wish I knew what it was...