VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Here is my spec. Acer Ferrari 1.6 Turion with 1G ram, 128M X700 and WinXP 64bit pro. Since WinXP64pro does not support 16bits application, i've to resolve to DosBox to keep my old legacy Foxpro2.6(Dos) program running. Dos Box does run my application but very slow despite i've tried all the tricks mention in the forum. Here is my DosBox setting:-

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullwidth=0
fullheight=0
output=overlay
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true

language=
machine=auto
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=2
snapdir=snaps
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=40000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=11025
blocksize=2048
wavedir=waves

[midi]
mpu401=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sblaster=true
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
sbrate=11025
adlib=true
adlibrate=11025
adlibmode=adlib
cms=false
cmsrate=11025

[gus]
gus=true
rate=11025
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=11025
tandy=true
tandyrate=11025
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
modem=true
comport=2
listenport=23

Changing from 32bbp to 16 does not yield any significant gain and even increasing the cycle to 200000 does not help either. Any more sugguestion? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Increasing cycles to 200000 is nonsense... No computer can handle it... Even those 40000 you use are perhaps too much and it just slows you down (though I am not sure - it may be possible with dynamic core).
Remember - there is no point in using more cycles then your computer can handle (well, quite the opposite - it slows down the program!).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks Mirek. In fact i've try out various cycles setting (ctrl+f12) but DosBox still running slow, no, actually very slow. I have ried the default 2500 but to not avail, even with 2frames skip. Any other resolution for me? Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble cause i'm a newbie here.

Reply 4 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, if it runs with the same slow speed regardless of number of cycles (it should get quicker when you increase from the default 2500), then it is probably a bug in DOSBOX... Let's hope it get fixed in future versions (be sure to try a current CVS build - there are several available - search forum).

If it gets quicker with cycles, but you hit the limit of your hardware, then there is nothing much to do (apart from what you probably already did). Though maybe you can further increase frameskip - it should not be a problem for db. app.

Mirek

Reply 7 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

By increasing the cycles, it does speed up a bit, i mean from worse to bad. I need a way to bring this thing to bareable so that i can work with it.
I did try the normal and full core but the result is not as drastic as using the dynamic, so i just leave the dynamic core on.
By the way, i have just upgraded my ATI X700 to the latest DET.5.8.
Thank for all the helps and sugguestions.

Reply 8 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By any chance, are you trying to put any or all of the DOSBox window on a second monitor? That makes DOSBox slow down a lot for me on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Reply 9 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

No, all the while i'm using only the laptop screen. But i think i know what would have causing the slow down already. I'm suspecting the network drive is the culprit here. I've mount a network drive then run the program from there, it tooks forever to load (but it run nevertheless). But if i copied everything into local harddisk and run from there, it run slow (as 486 spec.) but bareable, at least i can work with it now. I guess i got to wait for future version to have a better support for networking.
Thanks all for the help.