VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pitchook

User metadata

I have an interesting one for anyone who can help me?
I am currently programming a microprocessor controlled radio transciever
this must be done with a low end machine IE.486/with DOS recomended,,it can be done with early windows versions but DOS is still the prefered choice by the experts....
To do this you connect an rj45 (telephone type plug) into the front of the radio and the other end goes to COM PORT 1 (9 or 15 pin) on the PC.... this transfer must be done slowly...
Does anyone know if DOSbox on a high end intel P4 would work ? would it communicate ok with comport1 etc etc etc? would anything explode,lol.
If anyone has any input experience or sugestions it would be greatly appreciated...... I have already run and setup my radio job file succesfully in DOSBOX without a hitch, its pushing the go button that im worried about,,lol..
thanks heaps
Pitchook

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm you will need a cvs build of dosbox as that one has much better com passthrough support. futher look in the patches forum

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by pitchook

User metadata

thanx heapssssssss,,, been reading through for a few hours and got the patch from the patches d/load....
im still a bit in the dark as to getting it to run? do i just drop it in the APP folder or must i run it/mount in DOS.....? Im still getting my head around the whole thing. 😕 😕 😕
I actually can do this task on an old gates box but im very curious (experimental) as to wether DOS box will do it.... Ive used DOS box on heaps of things and it works great...
thanks again
Radio tech - PC dummy

Reply 3 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To use a patch you have to apply it to the source code and then compile it into a binary. It's easier to just get a CVS binary that already has the patch included. Look for the CVS builds thread in the development forum for some leads.