VOGONS

Common searches

Win95 + DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 25, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Too bad i seem to have better windows 3.1 compatiability then windows 95 compatiability. Most windows 3.1 games will run. Tz colony runs perfectly and tz mini golf runs excellently although the after the install i got a program manager error then a general fault error at the end of the shareware install but the game runs great even though it although not often crashes with a divide by zero error. The windows 3.1 game runs though.

Dosbox is just the thing to run them pesky windows 95 games. I have a question about ykhwong's build with svga 256 colour addon can it run windows 95 with sonic cd pc version running on it which requires only svga 256 colours and sound blaster 16 and a pentium 1?

I don't even want to run windows 3,1 games with dosbox or use win 3.1 with dosbox as every windows 3.1 i have tried runs.

Reply 21 of 25, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Abyss: You'd better ask questions about ykhwongs build in his own forum, not here.

Im not a programmer, but I think the reason dosbox is more capable to run win 3.x than it is to run win95 is due to the fact that win 3.x is a DOS-GUI (in a way) while win95 is not.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 23 of 25, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No i get almost perfect windows3.1 compatiability with xp and without dosbox but the windows 95 compatiability is worse which i don't understand shouldn't older games have worse compatiability then newer games.
The requirements for sonic cd are very small so shouldn't the game run with the build as it has the svga 256 colours and dosbox should be able to run a 90mhz game now and dosbox already supports sound blaster 16.

Reply 24 of 25, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm getting the same error. What does that error mean though? Is it an undocumented error code? Has anybody figured out, what's actually happening internally that's triggering it (such that maybe one could patch the Win95 installer setup.exe file to fix it)?

Reply 25 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm locking this thread because
- extreme necroposting
- Windows 9x is not supported
- you can either use another emulator or a fork of DOSBox like DOSBox-x

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper