VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bcrt

User metadata

Hi,

I found some of the stuff mentioned in this thread pretty interesting:

Kaillera and Dos Box....

Has anyone actually tried UltraVNC with Dosbox for 2 player gaming, and is the speed decent? Also I'd like to know how to configure single window sharing with dosbox, the documentation of UltraVNC is too vague.

Reply 1 of 4, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you mean you plan to share a desktop with someone who's inside DOSBox?

If you play simultaneously, be careful not to press his/her buttons (sure, I know it can happen if you physically sit near each other, but then you could only do it with some physical pushing, while in DOSBox they can't stop you)...

Anyway, I can tell you that I've just managed to share someone's DOSBox (via LAN) with (the shareware) "RA" (aka "Remote-Anything")!

Just goes to show you how superior DOSBox is to XP's DOS (which shows up black when inside games).

The problems are (from minor to major):

External problems (aren't DOSBox's fault):
1) DOSBox's shortcuts ctrl+f11 and ctrl+f12 clash with RA's, although I realize I can fix it using DOSBox's mapper.

2) Obviously I can't hear the sound (assuming I don't hear it from the next room)...but who knows, maybe another program than RA can transfer sound remotely.

Unclear problems - either external or DOSBox's fault:
4) Having DOSBox running in full screen simply terminates RA at the second DOSBox gets full screen.
4.1) Once terminated, turns out I can go back in, but the colors are all twisted.
4.2) Same thing if the remote desktop was initially inside DOSBox in full screen mode, of course.
4.3) When in full screen (using step 4.1 or 4.2), RA gets terminated again once I order DOSBox to return to regular screen.

Mostly DOSBox's fault:
5) Once I give DOSBox mouse control, that's it for the mouse. The game's mouse seems to generally follow my mouse, but it follows it like a drunk person...and, since the game's mouse is usually very far from my mouse, it's impossible to test clicking. And most importantly, I can no longer click anything outside DOSBox. Thankfully, I can fix that with ctrl+f10.

6) It's slowwww (and this is LAN!). DOSBox has enough speed problems on its own, you know, without adding TCP/IP lags to the equation...
6.1) Increasing the frameskip rate doesn't seem to help.
6.2) If I try to increase the cycles, when it's above, say, 10000, then it's SO slow you can't do anything (except physically going to the remote computer and shut off the game).

Last edited by lwc on 2005-09-01, 10:52. Edited 7 times in total.