VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

i would like to stretch my game across two monitors, you know, totally disregarding the perverted fetish to maintain correct aspect ratio.

i've hunted much. i understand "sdl" windows aren't resizable, but the very talented whatshisface has a modified sdl. i tried following the instructions included in that package but obviously i didnt get it working because i'm a gamer, not a mind reader, and if im to know how to set environment variables for sdl in a .bat file, i need explicit instructions. i also saw the sourceforge project sdl-stretch but it was similairly cryptic and proibably only for programmers.

i run dual monitors, i want to load up ultima 7 and have it fill both. i can't do it windowed, can't do it fullscreen. the best i have done is getting it fullscreen and occupying both monitors, but with huge black borders on the sides.

why can't i stretch the damned window or fullscreen? why why why?
sdl? what about all the different rendering options like surface overlay opengl direct3d etc? are these just features that havent been gotten to? does anyone care about strange resolutions and filling the horizontal span?

2048x768 would be cool... it actually works in one of these builds i tried, maybe all, but the stretch cannot be accomplished in fullscreen or windowed.

dual monitors rule,for the price you pay you get a lot of screen, and playing old classics on this setup is fun as long as the monitor bezels/frames dont get in the way. for a rpg like ultima, its really neat. plus who like to see one monitor fire up the game while the other one sits there offline? and although i got it to horizontal span without clipping, it left those large peripheral black borders.

i also should say i got it in windowed mode to fill much of the desktop, but the aspect was still locked and the lower 3rd of the window gets obscured offscreen.

to anyone who can help: i put in more effort than is advisable trying to get what i want to work. i've even read the excuses that programs change their res, so its too hard to do. give me a break.

i appreciatte all usefull contributors. i don't know how to code, but i have gone as far as programming some basic "choose your own adventure" style graphic adventures on a coleco-adam many moons ago. i don't have any more time to dedicate to programming languages... maybe when i retired and out of games to play... anyways i hope you understand my prob and i hope it can be worked out. i see so much potetial for using it to play my games but i won't do so till i get my fully fullscreened dually displayed goodness! the only games i dont play that way are online shooters where i care about competition online and i need my aim perfect to enjoy myself. for laid back games (single player) i prefer to overwhelmed by fixels in my face. thats my kind fetish.

Reply 1 of 2, by Guest

User metadata

I am curious about dual monitor support, as well.
My Linux box at home only uses one monitor, but at work I have a Dell running Windows 2000 with dual monitors, and when I try to run DOSBox in a window it never draws anything in the window when DOSBox is on the second monitor.
I'm not looking to do anything crazy here. I'd just like for it to work on the second monitor.
Anyone have any idea why, or what I could do to fix it?
If it's just a matter of taking the time to do known code changes, I'd be happy to make a patch based on someone's instructions. I just don't have time to investigate the source right now, though, to figure it out.