VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by capnpayne

User metadata

I run SuSE 9.3 and I have DOSBox 0.63 installed.
I have a problem that, after searching, seems somewhat unique.
Whenever I mount a CD, this is what happens...

snapshot29lr.jpg

I've used the -ioctl flag and nothing happens. In all cases, the CD doesn't even spin up. I've tried running it as root. I don't know what to do.

Reply 2 of 9, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try changing the /dev/cdrom in
mount d /dev/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0
to wherever it is actually mounted
ie if at /mnt/cdrom
mount d /mnt/cdrom -t cdrom -usecd 0

If you're not sure where, try typing "mount" from a command line in Linux (not dosbox!) without anything else and see what it says.
Something like
(bunch of other lines)
/dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,...

Reply 5 of 9, by capnpayne

User metadata

To further clarify, mounting directories works perfectly fine, but I need low-level support for a few games I'm playing -- i.e., I need to mount the device itself rather than an already-mounted filesystem.

dougdahl: the mount goes smoothly with your method, but I'm not entirely sure that DOSBox is mounting the device, rather than Linux.

I'm going to try CVS and post again.

Reply 7 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm you need to mount the cdrom in linux as well
dosbox uses the mounted image to get the directory index
and uses the lowlevel acces for audiotracks (and related functions)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 9, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be honest Dosbox does a pretty good job of handling the cd for me. (about the only exception I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic 2. On an old version of dosbox it never played the cd music, and on 0.63 it crashes when I try to use the cd music. Too lazy, and not interested in playing it at the moment, to bother trying the CVS to see if it's been fixed.)

If hasn't been fixed in the CVS and low-level CD access in Linux is what you're after, you might want to try dosemu.
The game support seems, at least to me, not quite as good as dosbox (haven't tried the latest versions, to be honest though) and the setup is nowhere near as simple as dosbox. To enable the cdrom in dosemu, I had to obtain a dos CD-ROM driver, set-up the autoexec and config to load the driver properly, and enable the cd in the dosemu.conf. Can't say whether it's gotten any better.

On the other hand it ran HOMM 2 with the CD audio, and it reads the CDs even when I don't have them mounted.

Your call. Personally I'd try the cvs of dosbox first.

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always had to create a cue image of any CD with CD Audio and then mount using IMGMOUNT if I wanted to hear CD Audio in DosBox. I've never heard CD Audio using just mount with all appropriate switches. (Of course it has been awhile since I last tried it).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline