VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's already a very sophisticated DOSBox wrapper for OS X, in the form of the Boxer app; the one I've put together is a lot more primitive. It's an AppleScript application that comes with an installer that creates a folder named DOSBoxDisk in your user folder; this same folder appears in DOSBox (when you run my DOSBoxWrapper application) as the C: drive in DOSBox. Create folders in it; copy games into it; all of them will be visible on Drive C: in DOSBox when you run my DOSBoxWrapper.

The app uses my custom build of DOSBox, put together with the help of many people here, especially Dominus (without whose help I could never have built DOSBox in OS X), ripsaw8080, h-a-l-9000, TeaRex, hunterz, wd, and ykhwong. The build incorporates a MODE command written by ripsaw8080 and console code by ykhwong that lets DOSBox work successfully with the NoBlink Accelerator utility that creates a non-blinking block cursor. (It's included in the UTIL directory in the DOSBoxDisk.)

DOSBox is for games, not applications, and don't come here asking for help if you try to use this for applications, but I've included (because it's left over from another application I put together for my own use) a built-in 43-line and 50-line mode, plus the ability to print from DOS programs running in DOSBox. Printing support is completely and embarrassingly kludgy: it uses a Folder Action Script that gets installed when you install the DOSDiskFolder. Full details are in the Read Me First file on the installer disk. If you study the Folder Action Script itself in the AppleScript Editor, you can find other abilities that I haven't documented yet.

EDIT: The current build has additional built-in commands for changing video modes; they're listed when you enter HELP at the DOS prompt, and include 25lines, 43lines, 50lines, 60lines, 66lines, 132x43, and 132x60.

If this isn't useful to you, then don't use it; please don't waste bandwidth posting messages here saying that you don't need it, because I know perfectly well that you don't need it. I don't need it either, but it comes in useful for a few things, and I'm posting it in case someone else finds it useful.

Download link here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/271144/DOSBoxWrapper.dmg

Last edited by emendelson on 2013-07-30, 12:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've updated this (same download link) with a new build based on the generous help I got here in the past few days. The new build uses a different set of keystrokes for controlling DOSBox, using the Cmd- keys that are standard on the Mac. It includes Cmd-3 for redrawing the screen if the screen colors change after hiding and restoring the window. The keystrokes are listed in a kind of help message that I've added to the "About DOSBox" box under the main menu.

I'm very grateful to truth5678 and Qbix for helping me add features and improvements to this build.