VOGONS

0.70 for Mac Freezing

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 141, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it looks like we really have nailed it. Of course I say we in a very casual way as I contributed next to nothing here. Still I'd like to take a moment and thank everybody who participated in this thread. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to now have a version of DOSBox that I can use in OSX that won't just die on me after ~30 minutes of use.

What's even more impressive is that no developer in this thread actually has an OSX machine and yet they managed to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot guys. I hope you guys realize how much we love DOSBox and appreciate the endless time and effort you have put into it.

Reply 101 of 141, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

On ia32, adding a long int and a float is done as doubles internally.
On amd64, adding a long int and a float is done as floats internally.
(Tested with gcc 4.1 in linux.)

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense 😀
Also thanks for looking into the issue, as well as your patch.

Reply 102 of 141, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkgamorck wrote:

Well it looks like we really have nailed it. Of course I say we in a very casual way as I contributed next to nothing here.

What's even more impressive is that no developer in this thread actually has an OSX machine and yet they managed to solve the problem.

Don't see yourself short man. If you hadn't reported it ,it wouldn't have gotten fixed (at least any time soon).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 104 of 141, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkgamorck wrote:

Well technically I didn't report it either 😊

WTF are you doing here again? 😀

I love your new avatar though DosFreak. Is that from Grindhouse?

Yep, Kurt Russell is one of my favorite actors. Saw Grindhouse the day It came out in theatres. I'm one of those weirdos that prefers DeathProof to Planet Terror though.

Heard they are trying to make full movies out of "Don't" and "Thanksgiving" yesterday....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 105 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Things seem ok now, but... Er, another question...

Why cast PIC_TickIndex()'s return type to double in PIC_FullIndex() instead of specifying it in PIC_TickIndex()'s definition? i.e.

INLINE float PIC_TickIndex(void) {
return (CPU_CycleMax-CPU_CycleLeft-CPU_Cycles)/(float)CPU_CycleMax;
}

instead of

INLINE double PIC_TickIndex(void) {
return (CPU_CycleMax-CPU_CycleLeft-CPU_Cycles)/(double)CPU_CycleMax;
}

Just curious...

Reply 107 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is my confusion. PIC_FullIndex is used far more than PIC_TickIndex, although admittedly, one could say that because TickIndex is used by FullIndex, that TickIndex is used slightly more.

Reply 109 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Checkout the source into, say, ~/dosbox
Get the patch file
Go to ~/dosbox in terminal
Execute: patch -p0 < /path/to/dosbox_timerprecision.patch
Then configure && make
You could update the 0.7 DOSBox.app by copying the new dosbox binary into /Applications/DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS, but be aware that by default, the binary is not a static build.

Reply 115 of 141, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well there is no point in releasing a new version until the fix gets committed to CVS. I mean this isn't just an OSX issue, but also an issue with AMD64 architectures and Linux as well. I supposed it would also be an issue if you used XP64 or Vista 64 and compiled your own version with the appropriate 64 bit tools.

Reply 118 of 141, by mrwiggles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

'Ello all. My first post.

Anyhow, I read through this thread to see if the answer to my Mac OsX problem was already solved. Sadly, it wasn't.

My computer is running OSX 10.4, at 900MHz with 384megs of ram.

Sadly, DOSBOX crashes about 10 seconds afters it opens. I can see the black black where, the dosscreen should be some of the time. Most of the time all I see are the menu bars. Then it stops. Then I receive a dialog box stating that only Dosbox was affected and the rest of my programs are fine.

It's all fun and games, till someone loses an eye. . . Then its funny as hell!