VOGONS

First post, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I've just added support to AdPlug for the new .dro format, however the DOSBox code looks like it's endian specific, which means I will need to add extra code to correctly play files captured on the opposite architecture to playback.

To confirm this I'd need a capture from a big-endian machine, but the only machines I have access to that can run DOSBox are little-endian (Intel.) If anyone out there has a big-endian machine (non-Intel Mac?) and they could send me a .dro capture with the latest version of DOSBox, that'd be great!

Reply 1 of 12, by koun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We have an iMac G4 at work that might still work. (It is currently used as a picture frame, and I don't mean digital picture frame.)

If this system fits your needs, please describe what you need done (or link to a post/article/... describing it) and I'll see what i can do.

Reply 2 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the offer, sorry about the delay. All I need is an OPL capture - run DOSBox, start a capture (Alt+Ctrl+F7 by default) and run something with Adlib music (try this bbstro if you don't have anything handy.)

Leave it running for about 15 seconds (that's all I need) then press Alt+Ctrl+F7 to stop the recording and you should have a .dro file created. If you can post that here it'd be very helpful!

Reply 3 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

shouldn't .dro created on every computer be the same? Isn't it a bug of dosbox that it is not?

Reply 4 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Possibly. Often for efficiency reasons the bytes will be swapped on big vs little endian architectures (see Wikipedia for details) so whether this is a bug or not is open for discussion.

Of course it only *looks* like it will happen, I'd need to see a big endian capture first to be positive.

Reply 5 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that if a big endian capture happens to be positive the thing to do first would be to try to make dosbox code not endian specific, and patching your player only if it couldn't be solved that way.

Reply 6 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess that's up to the DOSBox devs to decide. The code could certainly be fixed, but whether anyone is willing to do so...

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

if it gets captured wrong on big endian than is a bug. Would be easy to fix probably.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 12, by koun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try it out next week (if the old Mac still works) and post the file for analysis.

Reply 9 of 12, by koun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the file. It is renamed, not zipped.

(edit: forgot the file)

Reply 10 of 12, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you need big endian, basilisk or sheepshaver mac emulators will do.

Reply 11 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah excellent, many thanks for that koun! It looks fine and plays without any trouble, so that answers my question. No bug in DOSBox 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by koun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thats good news. Glad I could assist.