VOGONS

First post, by TommyGun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd would like to request an addition to the command line parameters for DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Usage#Command_Line_Parameters) to load a custom key-mapper file on launch just like you can load a custom config file with "-conf (file)". Some games would need different keyboard mappings for ease of use and without altering the default mapping preference.

I suggest a "-map (file)" argument. I hope this REQ is welcome. 😀
Thanks and keep up the good work! 😁

Reply 2 of 9, by TommyGun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes i'm aware but you can only specify the map file's name it still looks in an absolute path defined for settings (like for conf preferences).

I would still be able to load any .map file located anywhere on my disk at launchtime without having to modify the .conf file. I hope its possible. 😦

Reply 3 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I thought you can use a different path, haven't tried on osx though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you can load the mapper file anywhere on your system, as long as the path is correct (when you have spaces in the path you need to place the patch in "").
And if you couple this with the -userconf setting and a conf that only overrides the mapper setting you have what you want, through an additional file.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TommyGun wrote:

I would still be able to load any .map file located anywhere on my disk at launchtime without having to modify the .conf file. I hope its possible. 😦

Can you give an example of what you want to do and how the current method is insufficient?

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I see what he means and he is right IMHO that this would be nice.
Instead of having to edit a/the conf file just start dosbox with the commandline "dosbox -mapper mysuperduperawesomekeymapper.map". Right now, when you want to override the usual mapper file you need to do it like I wrote and use a different conf file with the mapperfile line added...
Nothing I would lose sleep over and would fight the devs over 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by TommyGun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes correct thats exactly what i mean. Just also add this command line parameter to work as is for ease of use. For those who dont need it just dont use it but would be nice to have. 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by cfoesch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This patch does most of it. Unfortunately, due to the random placement of the various codes for discovering filenames, it's more of a hack than it properly should be.

The flowcontrol is setup right, but the code inside of the "I found a -map cmdline option" needs to be fleshed out, so that if it finds the file, it says "goodie, I'll use that", then if that fails, then go to the config_path.

And of course, if any of that fails, it should probably take the "mapper" config entry...

But this is a good start, and it shows where the code needs to go...

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-cmdline-map.diff
    File size
    946 Bytes
    Downloads
    151 downloads
    File comment
    Crude patch to switch if a -map cmdline option is given to a different mapper file.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception