VOGONS

First post, by Cheez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a hard time getting some more specific info on my problem, but here's the deal.

There's a problem with Lemmings 3D that creates driver error messages in the game's startup procedure, and I know this has come up before.

Now, it seems to be working in the official and current Dosbox 0.74, but I found a problem on the SVN builds. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to the pure Dosbox SVN builds because the older ones seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth entirely, but using the ykhwong Dosbox builds which claimed to be based on r3659, r3660, and r3661, I found a spot where the error is probably happening in straight Dosbox builds as well. I've noticed the error in the most recent Dosbox SVN build and the earliest one i could find available for download, r3752.

r3661 is where I know it no longer works, I'm not sure if the other one I tested was r3659 or r3660 since there was some overlap in the changelog of that build for some reason... But it worked in that one, so there you have it. Something changed somewhere along the line and it conflicts with the game. Knowing what it was is pretty important to getting this game working with sound again, not to mention finding potential workarounds.

A brief look at the svn changelog suggests r3658 could also be suspect, but it doesn't match up with what I've tried already.

Just thought I'd post it here since it seems to be a somewhat important issue for game compatibility that should be resolved before 0.75 becomes a thing. Unfortunately, I don't also have the time to set myself up to investigate this any further, I'm spreading myself thin as it is and the least I could do is open up a few versions of Dosbox under the same configuration to test a game.

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You must have seen this thread, given that you posted in it; therefore you should know that you can use the GUS driver instead of the problematic SB driver.

The problem with the SB driver is that DOSBox fires an IRQ immediately after it is triggered by a DSP command, but the driver is coded in a way that requires some delay before the IRQ fires. The devs are considering ways to fix the problem, and in the meantime there is really no compromise in sound quality by using the GUS driver.

Reply 2 of 5, by Cheez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind the fact that I get the same error when I switch to GUS (other things work fine with it), I'm pretty sure it will not sound like what I know and remember, so it's a pretty big compromise, working or not.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The GUS driver works for me in 0.74 and SVN, and I hear little if any difference in PCM sound quality compared to the SB driver.

Note that the GUS driver has the peculiarity of requiring the standard instrument patches in the ULTRASND directory even if you're only using the GUS for digital sound and some other device for music, as mentioned in the other thread.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cheez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still have it set up, I sitll get driver errors on both gus and sb, in all cases. No music, no sound.

Reply 5 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, of course you still get the error messages with the SB driver, the IRQ issue is still there... As for why you have a problem with the GUS driver, I can only guess you haven't set something up correctly, or maybe you have a different version of the game.

For the SB problem you can try this experimental patch to sblaster.cpp if you compile your own DOSBox executable:

case 0xf2: /* Trigger 8bit IRQ */
- SB_RaiseIRQ(SB_IRQ_8);
+ PIC_AddEvent(&DSP_RaiseIRQEvent,0.01f);
break;