VOGONS

First post, by Futterama

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi forum,

I'm trying to build my own DOSbox on an older PC to get it to run a bit faster. I was following this guide:

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/BuildingDOSBox

Compiling SDL and SDL-net worked fine but I cannot compile DOSbox.

I have not included any path for SDL or SDL-net in the PATH variable because I simply don't know which path to put there.

The error I'm getting starts when I run ./autogen.sh:

./sutogen.sh: line 8: aclocal: command not found
./sutogen.sh: line 9: autoheader: command not found
./sutogen.sh: line 10: automake: command not found
./sutogen.sh: line 11: autoconf: command not found

When running the MSYS.bat, I get the linux like console and it created some folders. I have:

Location of MSYS.bat:
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0

Location of starting folder when running MSYS.bat:
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\Martin

Location of DOSbox source files where I put them (downloaded from http://source.dosbox.com/dosboxsvn.tgz):
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\Martin\dosbox

So what do I need to get this working? I would like to use the SDL and SDL-net I compiled, I guess this would optimize the speed the most?

Best regards,
Martin

Reply 2 of 9, by Futterama

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I deleted the dosbox folder and started over while skipping autogen.sh. The ./configure reports a few warnings regarding libpng and libSDL_sound missing but it seems to succeed.

When I run "make" I get a lot of these errors:
"Nothing to be done for 'all'."

And there is one error like this:
"CC.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory"

Reply 4 of 9, by Futterama

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I only downloaded and installed MinGW from this link:

http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ming … st-20120426.exe

I added a checkmark to MSYS during the installation. Thats all I have installed. Maybe thats not enough?

Reply 6 of 9, by Futterama

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I edited the PATH variable, that didn't help any. Then I reinstalled MinGW and included all installation options, now I get a lot of "undefined reference" errors.

I think someone should rewrite the guide and include all the important details, someone who knows what they are doing cause I'm walking in blind here.

Reply 7 of 9, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know what you mean; I recently tried to upgrade my existing MingW32/MSys installation in order to use a more up-to-date compiler (GCC 4.6.2/4.7.0 instead of 3.4.5) and all the latest library versions, but failed as well. Although I could get it to build (after quite some fumbling), the resulting dosbox executable was unusable as it would crash after just about any command issued inside dosbox (for example 'mount')?!

Reply 8 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Futterama wrote:

Okay, I edited the PATH variable, that didn't help any. Then I reinstalled MinGW and included all installation options, now I get a lot of "undefined reference" errors.

Those undefined references probably stem from the compiler being unable to find required libraries...

Futterama wrote:

I have not included any path for SDL or SDL-net in the PATH variable because I simply don't know which path to put there.

From the wiki:
"After compiling you'll need to adjust the PATH variable to point at the directory where the freshly built SDL-Library can be found.

Note: if you want to use SDL-net, do the same with that library."

Since you built them...you should know where they ended up and adjust the path accordingly.

You're probably going to want libpng (requires zlib) unless you disable screenshots.

Reply 9 of 9, by onigame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I got the message "CC.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory" it turns out that I had installed gcc in mingw but not g++. You need to make sure there's a step like "mingw-get install g++".

Also, when I got a DOSBOX that would hang when trying to call "mount", it turned out that this was because it doesn't work with gcc 4.7.2. Follow the instruction in this thread:

Re: Building with gcc 4.7.0, SDL-1.2.15 and SDL_net-1.2.8 produces exe that crashes with Exit to error Illegal GRP4 call