VOGONS

First post, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found something interesting while doing a conf file for tomb raider.

Dosbox (on linux at least) doesn't paint the screen or turn to fullscreen while the autoexec section of a conf file is executing (or before) as long as there isn't a 'pause' or 'choice' or the autoexec passed. This is fine, but i sometimes want to display text before requiring user input. I used a external cmd called wait (for dos) that i had quite bit of trouble finding on the internet. I think i compiled it even but if i did, i forgot the source.

Regardless, i required it because i wanted to present some text, 'waiting' 0.5 seconds for it to turn to fullscreen and paint and then mounting a iso (+ogg) and take the time it takes to mount a iso to allow the user to read info. If i had paused after the cd mount would stay in a black window for the time it takes to mount. If i had used a pause before the mount, the user would read and then be annoyed for waiting a second or two for the mount.

So i went with
print
wait 0.5
imgmount
pause
#rest of stuff that includes more print and a choice.

I know this is very unusual, and i found a solution that works perfectly for me, but i thought i'd mention it.

Reply 2 of 2, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably that. The main trouble finding one is that most of those on the net said they 'worked on dos' but it was a filthy lie, because people that started using computers post the end of the millennium think dos is the windows console.