VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 1550, by troydm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:

Just a question: You defined values up to 200, which, if I get this right, amplifies the gain by the given value. So the default value, 100, results in a gain of 1.
If that's so, isn't a maximum value of 65535 (655 times the normal gain) a bit much? And wouldn't 0 mute the gain entirely?

Yes correct, 0 would mute the gain entirely, that way you can for example mute reverb or mute output and leave only reverb.
The default value for mt32emu output gain and reverb gain are both 1.0 so leaving 100 as default just keeps settings default.
And yes 65536 is a bit too much you can lower the value anyway you want. I for my setup usually use 300 for output and 150 for reverb

Reply 542 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FulValBot wrote:

All games still have an half-seconds of sound delay, the same of official 0.74-2 version... i have already tried to editing .conf file without any success...

Since your're the only one (so far) having this particular problem and because it seems to be happening no matter which DOSBox you're using (ECE isn't based on the 0.74-2 code, but on the SVN code), I'd say you either have a hardware /driver problem on your side or you messed up your conf files for DOSBox. What did you set for blocksize and prebuffer under the mixer settings?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 544 of 1550, by troydm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote:

Tested blocksize 1024, 512 and 256 without success; tested prebuffer 20, 25, 80 without success

(ECE version has only slightly improved it, not fixed)

which sound system under which operating system and hardware are you using?

Reply 546 of 1550, by troydm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote:

Realtek with generic driver (HD Definition Audio)

Windows 10 64 bit build 1809

i7 4790k, 16GB, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Not sure about Windows 10 but I think this is worth trying atleast
https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-realtek-audio-delay-lag/

Reply 548 of 1550, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote:

Sorry but it was done already...

this problem happen only with dosbox, not in all other programs and games

Could be an 1809/driver issue?
You can try updating your Realtek driver with a driver certified for 1809 from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Instructions here:
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/59 … er-version.html

Reply 550 of 1550, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote:

Nope, there was always this bug from the first version of DOSBox many years's ago and with all windows...

I have no problems (or never had) with DOSBox and Realtek audio.

My system:
I7-7700k
16 gb ram
Asus Prime Z270-P (with onboard Realtek)
Nvidia GTX-1080
Windows 10 64 bit (Version 1809 - OS Build 17763.195)

Currently using Realtek audio driver 6.0.1.8544

Reply 551 of 1550, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not a Realtek bug... There was this problem with all DOSBox versions and also with a Creative sound card... so this problem can happen with all sound cards...

All windows have this problem with DOSBox (also all windows 9x versions)

Reply 554 of 1550, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FulValBot wrote:

It's not a stutter, it's a delay of half second or 1 seconds before video

You mean after video if it's audio lag, right? If the audio is playing before the video, then you have video lag/buffering.

Although if other games and media players have zero audio or video lag, then it's likely not something downstream in your driver and hardware chain (like video or audio post processing on hdmi TVs that can add significant lag). Does your monitor have a game mode? (which eliminates all post processing).

Also, is the lag the same between analog and digital output? Ie: try using an hdmi monitor with internal speakers where audio and video both flow digitally via hdmi and is processed by the monitor. Compare that with analog audio output (minijack headphones or speakers) while only video is sent via hdmi/vga/dvi to your monitor.

I'm not a current Windows user, but I recall being able to set which audio driver a given peice of software would use (directx, wave-driver, and other options). Maybe dosbox (SDL1) is using an audio path different from your other software or games. Maybe you could track down other SDL1-based games and see if they're similarly affected.

Unfortunately when no one else can reproduce it, it's going to take more trial and error changing one variable at a time (like you're already started with the block size and prebuffer values).

Reply 556 of 1550, by WhiteZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason I can't get Fluidsynth to work in ECE. When I launch DosBox it says:

MIDI:fluidsynth: loaded soundfont: Roland SC-55.sf2
MIDI: Opened device:fluidsynth

So it seems to be loading OK.

This is my config for it

mpu401                  = intelligent
mididevice = fluidsynth
midiconfig =
fluid.driver = default
fluid.soundfont = Roland SC-55.sf2
fluid.samplerate = 48000
fluid.gain = .6
fluid.polyphony = 256
fluid.cores = default
fluid.periods = 8
fluid.periodsize = 512
fluid.reverb = yes
fluid.chorus = yes
fluid.reverb,roomsize = .61
fluid.reverb.damping = .23
fluid.reverb.width = .76
fluid.reverb.level = .57
fluid.chorus.number = 3
fluid.chorus.level = 1.2
fluid.chorus.speed = .3
fluid.chorus.depth = 8.0
fluid.chorus.type = 0

If I run mixer /listmidi there is nothing listed too. Using PlayMid or running a game has no midi sound at all. This is trying with a freshly generated config file too. MT32 works fine, as does the Windows Default midi player. I've also tried midiconfig = 0

Reply 557 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WhiteZero wrote:
For some reason I can't get Fluidsynth to work in ECE. When I launch DosBox it says: […]
Show full quote

For some reason I can't get Fluidsynth to work in ECE. When I launch DosBox it says:

This is my config for it

mididevice = fluidsynth
midiconfig =
fluid.driver = default

If I run mixer /listmidi there is nothing listed too. Using PlayMid or running a game has no midi sound at all. This is trying with a freshly generated config file too. MT32 works fine, as does the Windows Default midi player. I've also tried midiconfig = 0[/quote]
/listmidi only lists the devices when mididevice is either default or win32, it doesn't work with fluidsynth. There would be nothing to list anyway, if fluidsynth is selected, there are no other midi emulators running besides it.

Where is your SF2 file located? In the same directory as the .conf file? Does it work if yo enter the absolute path to the file? Is there a libfluidsynth.dll in the DOSBox directory?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 558 of 1550, by WhiteZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
WhiteZero wrote:
For some reason I can't get Fluidsynth to work in ECE. When I launch DosBox it says: […]
Show full quote

This is my config for it

mididevice = fluidsynth
midiconfig =
fluid.driver = default

If I run mixer /listmidi there is nothing listed too. Using PlayMid or running a game has no midi sound at all. This is trying with a freshly generated config file too. MT32 works fine, as does the Windows Default midi player. I've also tried midiconfig = 0[/quote]
/listmidi only lists the devices when mididevice is either default or win32, it doesn't work with fluidsynth. There would be nothing to list anyway, if fluidsynth is selected, there are no other midi emulators running besides it.

Where is your SF2 file located? In the same directory as the .conf file? Does it work if yo enter the absolute path to the file? Is there a libfluidsynth.dll in the DOSBox directory?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
My SF2 file is in a sub-directory of DOSBox ECE. And I do use the absolute path, I just edited it out of my original post. The actual path is C:\Users\username\Downloads\Personal\Misc\DOSBox_ECE\midi\Roland SC-55.sf2 and that is what I have linked in my config file. libfluidsynth.dll is present, using the normally extracted files from the main ECE download.

I also just tried a fresh copy of all the files and config, with the same issue. Though the exact same setup (but with different directories) works fine on a different computer. In the past I've used both CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth and BassMIdi on this problematic PC, though they have both been uninstalled now. Wonder if that could be causing a conflict somewhere? I also double checked the Windows Volume Mixer to make sure DOSBox's volume wasn't turned down or anything.

Reply 559 of 1550, by CarolinaJones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Yesterplay80

I just wanted to thank you for this .. You rock!

I have compiled your latest on my PI3B+ without MT32 support and it runs great!
I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio 4.5 in Windows 3.11, with Fluidsynth. Two days now and runs flawlessly! 😀 Yay!