dosbox-staging (DOSBox Git repo)

Developer's Forum, for discussion of bugs, code, and other developmental aspects of DOSBox.

Re: dosbox-staging (DOSBox Git repo)

Postby llm » 2019-12-03 @ 14:15

Concerning the link: What am I seeing there? A bot building a OS/2 library of SDL 2?

yes, that is the official SDL build server: OS/2 is unsupported but still built on every commit
llm

Postby dreamer_ » 2019-12-03 @ 14:55

josch wrote:GCC 4.8

GCC 4.8.1 is the oldest GCC with full C++11 support - stdlib is missing a few minor features, that we don't care about (e.g. localized iostream formatting for currencies).
Code: Select all
| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe
dreamer_

Postby josch » 2019-12-04 @ 07:12

josch wrote:GCC 4.8.

I wrote that from memory. Looking at my actual build system, I have to correct myself: It's gcc 4.9.2.
josch

Postby llm » 2019-12-06 @ 08:27

so no Problem with C+11 under OS/2 - even a little bit C++14 :)

@the primary dosbox developers
is there a list of used first class/second class operating systems that needs support
and the used development environments for these?

First class: - most downloads, user-feedback
Linux?
Windows (7,8,10) - what is used for release builds? mingw/VS2010?
Mac?
Second class: - also in use but not that hardcore needed
OS/2, ArcaOS (Version?)
maybe as orientation see build/and on the page below older build versions: https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ (i know that scummvm is less hardware demanding, there are many platforms that are not capable to run dosbox smooth)

just to get a clear overview what is needed for dosbox-staging to build on the CI
llm

Postby dreamer_ » 2019-12-09 @ 13:07

4th patch series

…was just submitted for inclusion in SVN. You can follow the discussion in here: https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/patches/284/ (yes, this is the same thread as series 2 and 3, as the discussion on series 3 stalled).

This series consists of all the changes from series 2 (slightly revised), series 3 and all new relevant commits.

You can browse these patches on GitHub: https://github.com/dreamer/dosbox-stagi ... 6c178e67d0 (or just checkout branch po/svn-patch-series-4).

Some news from dosbox-staging.

• We have automatic snapshot release builds (they are built on every push to master and every new branch from now on).
  • Nightly Coverity builds are enabled; we are giving out defect reports read access to everyone who asks (we can't make them just open for some Coverity reason).
  • All defects fixes we implemented are included in patch series 4. These include fixes for resource leaks, integer overflows, uninitialized values and others. We also have some small bugfixes and not-so-small code cleanups. In total there are 78 patches in this series.
  • We sent or pointed out fixes to other upstreams as well (dr_libs, stb_vorbis), and some of them implemented the findings already (fixes to these libs are included)

Download links:
Last edited by dreamer_ on 2019-12-11 @ 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
dreamer_

Postby llm » 2019-12-10 @ 06:41

Linux (make sure to install dependencies)
    Windows (follow instructions if Windows SmartScreen objects)

the links are dead
llm

Postby dreamer_ » 2019-12-10 @ 09:42

llm wrote:the links are dead

Hmm, they do work for me… Thanks for pointing it out. (investigating)

[edit]
Should be fixed now. Attachments to release drafts on GitHub seem to downloadable only by project maintainers.
dreamer_

Postby Yesterplay80 » 2019-12-11 @ 08:08

Would the patches I use for ECE be of any use to you, or do you only want to integrate your own patches into dosbox-staging? In case you have any use for them, here are those I use for ECE, also included are the scripts I use to compile it under Windows and Linux, though they shouldn't be necessary, the patches are numbered in the order they're applied.
Attachments
patches.zip
(706.78 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds (without debugger) for Windows: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Enhanced Community Edition)
Yesterplay80

Postby dreamer_ » 2019-12-11 @ 18:00

@Yesterplay80, thank you so much! The patches you maintain were already helpful to me in the past, and having them properly imported will make it much easier to work with in the future :)

I imported these patches to the repo, they are on branch po/ece-r4301-1 (commits 77a46...ab12a); during import I cleared trailing whitespace errors and filled authorship information for patches, that I knew (e.g. Add Nuked OPL3 emulator v1.8). If you have a list of threads where other changes were discussed, I can add the same info to other patches as well.

Since they are in Git, they can be accessed e.g. like this:
$ git clone https://github.com/dreamer/dosbox-staging.git
$ git checkout po/ece-r4301

… but also re-exported from Git back to patches, if needed:
$ git format-patch -14

This generates 14 numbered patches (see attachment); these patches can be applied one-by-one with `patch -p1`, or all at once with:
$ git am ../ece-patches-git/*.patch

Which will automatically apply them in the correct order, fill-in authorship information, commit messages, etc. But when working with pure Git, it is much easier to just do: `git rebase origin/svn/trunk`.

Aaanyways, I can't apply them to the master branch directly, as even the first patch will cause conflicts with SDL2 work, but once SDL2 will be merged in, the work on cleaning-up and integrating other patches in this series will start (except krcroft's patch, because it was already carefully split into smaller chunks and merged-in over several PRs :) ). That being said, some of them do not conflict with SDL2, so if anyone cares about them very much, then the fastest way to see them in master branch is by sending a PR ;).
Attachments
ece-patches-git.zip
(712.45 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
dreamer_

Postby aaronp » 2019-12-11 @ 21:49

git cherry-pick is the best way to grab commits from one branch and apply them to another, right? I maintain my own pkgbuild with select patches, which I think are all patches that are already in ECE, but some I don't use (like fluidsynth, which causes issues for me and I just enable fluidsynth with a systemd user service anyway). This might make it easier for me than a bunch of separate patches.

Also I'm looking forward to SDL2 so I can play something besides strategy games on dosbox again. Booting into real dos on pcem is making me really appreciate dosbox. :lol:
aaronp

Postby dreamer_ » 2019-12-12 @ 09:49

aaronp wrote:git cherry-pick is the best way to grab commits from one branch and apply them to another, right?

Correct :) You can pass several commit ids to `git cherry-pick`, and it will apply the commits in order (it is very similar to rebase in practice).
dreamer_

Previous

Return to DOSBox Development