VOGONS

SVN on OS X - core=dynamic causes segfault

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need to change the conf or any software that will make dosbox automatically switch core to dynamic will bomb Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 110, by ufoufo512

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your help. I just tried yet another time, fresh svn checkout from the trunk. Same thing.

Now, it is not a big issue to me. I happy with Dosbox 0.74. But if somebody is interested, I can provide further details that might help to reproduce the error. Just tell me what you need and I will post more info.

Here is the compiling info:
http://pastebin.com/tupJhWYp

Reply 23 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, I got it partially figured out, thanks to ufo's build log. The hint that gave it away was the beginning of configure, the host and build system.
When I pass "--build=i386-apple-darwin10.5.0 --host=i386-apple-darwin10.5.0" along to configure everything works fine.
My automake cache prevented me from getting my host/build to get screwed up and thus always got a working one. Don't know what changed there. I'll take a look at the changes of the build system to figure this out.

Edit: something in MacPorts automake tools is screwing things up 🙁
So, really not your fault, nor is it Dosbox...

Last edited by Dominus on 2011-01-04, 22:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's caused by the autoconf 2.68 of MacPorts. I've written to the MacPorts mailinglist, perhaps they know something. Alternatively I might need to search the autoconf bug tracker if it is a known issue.
So, either you backtrack to the 2.67 version of autoconf via MacPorts or you use the configure options I wrote in the post above.
Backtrack:
check via "port installed" whether you have that installed, MacPorts keeps old versions around if they were installed and you can see that in this list. If you have this, then enter commands "sudo port deactivate autoconf" and "sudo port activate autoconf @2.67_0".
OR if you haven't got it installed then follow the guide https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort (tcl is only the example you need autoconf - the right port file for autoconf 2.67 is at https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dport … tfile?rev=70583)

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 26 of 110, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dominus,

Thank you!!!

In the script I use for building, I simply replaced

./configure

with

./configure --build=i386-apple-darwin10.5.0 --host=i386-apple-darwin10.5.0

and it worked perfectly. "core dynamic" doesn't cause a crash.

Very impressed and grateful.

Reply 28 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Actually you have been of great help, since I overlooked this issue and would have been bitten by it sooner or later as welll. This way I knew to look for something 😉

Reply 29 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, finally got it figured out for real!
All my mistake after all. Autoconf is just throwing warnings, I fixed those in a patch, see the patch tracker.

So to compile Dosbox in 32bit and a working dynamic core you need to export ONLY (forget the long export line we used before, there are some optimizations in that but to keep it simple and easier to troubleshoot use this instead):

export CFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include -O2 -arch i386'
export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
export CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS
export LDFLAGS='-L/opt/local/lib -O2 -arch i386'
export CC='/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -arch i386'
export CXX='/usr/bin/g++-4.2 -arch i386'
export GCOV='/usr/bin/gcov-4.2 -arch i386'

then run ./autogen.sh and ./configure (no need for build/host, in fact better don't use those since they are very specific to Snow Leopard, with lion or leopard this will break).

The reason is that host and build targets were determined by the compiler check, compiler check showed 64bit which lead to configure making the decision to not compile the x86 dynrec core, instead it compiled the alternative 64bit dynrec core. The 64bit dynrec core bombs on OS X.

Again I have no idea how it worked fine for me before... It just did 😀

Reply 31 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

also crashes a 64bit dosbox binary as I reported already a couple of times here 😀
This (and that the x86 dynrec core is supposed to be faster/better) is the reason why I'm always telling people to compile a 32bit version if they have to.

Reply 33 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

how dare you?!!!! 😉
(though I have answered this question before, so either you or qbix asked that before - but the vogons search is something I do not exactly get good results from...)

Reply 35 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, that's about the point where I can only follow other people's test advice. I can patch, I can compile, I can figure out some compile stuff but I can't code.

Reply 37 of 110, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sounds like a job for rhoenie 😀

Reply 39 of 110, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dominus's instructions made it possible for me to build a portable copy of SVN under OS X. In case anyone wants to do the same thing, here is a summary of the instructions, all in one place. Remember that all of this is Dominus's work; I've just put it all together in one message.

1. Install MacPorts from http://www.macports.org

2. To make this version of DOSBox portable, and if (like me) you don't need sdl_net or sdl_sound, then install these items only:

sudo port install libsdl +universal +no_x11
sudo port install libpng +universal
sudo port install pkgconfig +universal

3. Then use a script to automate the whole process of setting environment variables and editing the Makefiles to create a static-linked sdl:

#!/bin/sh

export CFLAGS='-I/opt/local/include -O2 -arch i386'
export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
export CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS
export LDFLAGS='-L/opt/local/lib -O2 -arch i386'
export CC='/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -arch i386'
export CXX='/usr/bin/g++-4.2 -arch i386'
export GCOV='/usr/bin/gcov-4.2 -arch i386'

make clean
./autogen.sh
./configure

sed -i.old -e "s@-L/opt/local/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa@-L/opt/local/lib /opt/local/lib/libSDLmain.a /opt/local/lib/libSDL.a -Wl,-framework,OpenGL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -Wl,-framework,Carbon -Wl,-framework,AudioToolbox -Wl,-framework,AudioUnit -Wl,-framework,IOKit@g" -e "s@-lX11@ @g" Makefile

cd src

sed -i.old -e "s@-L/opt/local/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa@-L/opt/local/lib /opt/local/lib/libSDLmain.a /opt/local/lib/libSDL.a -Wl,-framework,OpenGL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -Wl,-framework,Carbon -Wl,-framework,AudioToolbox -Wl,-framework,AudioUnit -Wl,-framework,IOKit@g" -e "s@-lX11@ @g" Makefile

cd ..
make

The two sed commands perform the replacement in the Makefile that Dominus spelled out in another message.

Put this script in the "trunk" folder (or whatever you call the folder that contains the folders "src", "include", "docs", etc.) Make the script executable with the command chmod +x filename. In the terminal, navigate to the folder that contains the script, src, include, docs, etc, and run the script from the terminal to build DOSBox, which will be created in the src folder.

EDIT: Modified to match Dominus's corrections in the next messages, and to spell out what to do with the script.

Last edited by emendelson on 2011-01-07, 16:18. Edited 4 times in total.