VOGONS

First post, by Spinik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've created a DOSBox shortcut on my desktop and in order to play a game I drag its executable on the shortcut. It suits me the best like this. But when I add "-noconsole" into the shortcut, the game doesn't start any more after being dragged on it. It only shows typical DOSBox window with Z:\>. I can only wonder why is that, maybe I missed something?

And maybe not. So it's possible that the "-noconsole" command doesn't work as presumed. I like very much the idea of dragging any game you want to play on the DOSBox shortcut without any serious editing, but it would be clearer and less confusing (for some users) with "-noconsole" working properly. I hope this is not a big issue and that it could be easily repaired. Thanks for it in advance and good luck to the DOSBox team!

Note: I run Windows XP Pro SP2 and the Target field in my original DOSBox shortcut looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.conf".

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure how to solve this, but my guess is it's because Windows is sticking the filename to run onto the end of the command line specified in the shortcut, and DOSBox isn't interpreting it in the way you expect.

It might work to put a %1 somewhere in there, but I'm not sure. Changing the way double-quotes are placed may also affect it.

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The way I understand it is that you have a shortcut to DosBox on your desktop pointing to c:\progra~1\dosbox-0.63\dosbox.exe ?

If so and you don't use multiple .conf's then you may as well remove that .conf parameter since DosBox automagically uses the .conf if it's in the same directory as dosbox.exe.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by Spinik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HunterZ: No parameter can be placed between the quotes. The only (and the most simplified) way to fill the Target field is like that:

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe" -noconsole

But the problem persists. And if I am to put "%1" somewhere in the line, I have really no idea where.

DosFreak: Yes, you understand it right. Nonetheless, I've already tried removing ".conf" part from the shortcut, but no change.