VOGONS

Serial Port

Topic actions

First post, by Haider254

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!! Noob here!

Righto, best idea is to tell you my story.

Our house's heating and other little bits and bobs are controlled using a DOS based program. This used to work with windows 98, refuses to work with XP Command Prompt.

I've just managed to get the hang of DOSBOX to get this program on there, only issue i'm having with it is getting the Serial port (COM1) to communicate.

I've been reading into hal's solution, but like I said before i'm a noob. I'm quite a computer literate person but have a lack of command based systems.

I'll link you to my usual trouble shoot PC site for further info:

http://forums.pimprig.com/showthread.php?t=54001

sorry, ran out of cookies with greedy modders!

Reply 1 of 3, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Type

serial1 directserial realport:com1

at the Dosbox command.
If an error message (something like serial1 file not found) shows up, you need a more recent Dosbox app. Here is a List: DOSBox SVN Builds

Then run your app.

Reply 2 of 3, by Haider254

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it tells me illegal command, I'm a complete noob by the way.

I have the latest version. 0,63 I thinks.

What are the odds the person who appears to have the most knowledge on this matter would reply soonest 😁

Have integrated your patch onto the newer versions of DOSBOX?

EDIT: All I have is the bog standard DOSBOX, I wasn't sure what CVS builds were nor how to use them, I downloaded your diff. file I think it was but weren't sure what to do with it.

Reply 3 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DIFF is useless for you (it is a source code patch).

CVS build - unofficial DOSBOX build made after 0.63 (0.63 is getting quite old...) You want this. Search - I think there is a topic with links to some CVS builds in DOSBOX Development.

Mirek