VOGONS

DOSBox GUI

Topic actions

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought up of an idea. This may or may not have been suggested before - I didn't do a search. Lately, I've been using the DOSBox.conf file to edit settings such as the machine line where you set the graphics display such as VGA, EGA, CGA, Hercules, and Tandy. However, rather than deal with the tedious .conf file, what about creating a menu for DOSBox? Here, one could simply have a window pop up telling them where to mount the hard drive, what kind of machine to select for playing the game, amongst other things. Obviously, this wouldn't pop up every time - it would just be a regular menu thing as found in all programs these days. What do you guys think? Sure, one could simply download a frontend, but having a built-in menu option may be a bit more DOS-newbie friendly.

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well there are already some frontends like D-Fend that a lot of people unfamiliar with DOS have had a great amount of success with.

The only alternative to a frontend that I think would be useful is to have a menu that can be used to change DOSBox settings while it is running. This has also been discussed and for now is only a dream, as it will be quite complicated to implement.

Reply 2 of 4, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are some proof-of-concept type thingies (I wrote one as a simple batch file), but as far as I understand, our esteemed dosbox fathers like the idea in general, but are totally undecided as to where to go from here (and underpowered - too much else to do).

One important question would be: Is it sufficient to have a command to type which then starts such a menu? If yes, we're not far away - the config menu mentioned above is 95% complete. If you expect a mouse-clickable interface, it's more difficult. That probably takes some effort.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing is......how often would this be used?

We already have frontends and DosBox has been designed with frontends in mind. Wouldn't any built-in interface therefore be inferior to external frontends? Also instead of focusing on DosBox's main goal of compatibility we would also have to devote time to making sure the built-in interface had all of the latest features and that they worked......

Personally I think it would be nice if a built-in GUI were included but not until a later date when there isn't much else to worry about......there is still a LOT of compatibility work left to be done and working on a GUI has nothing to do with that. There's nothing stopping a person from playing around with the DosBox source tho and creating their own, then showing it to the DosBox devs tho....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think a GUI would be immensely useful if it were able to be accessed while a game is running. Being able to load, edit and save config files, change mounts, and open new disk images in the middle of a game would make things a lot more user-friendly. In addition, there wouldn't be as much need for hotkeys.

Note that my idea of a GUI is probably different from most other people's, as I'm proposing that it should be purely an alternative to hotkeys as a way of tweaking DOSBox's behavior while it's running. For user-friendly game configuration and launching, I think frontends are probably the best way to go due to DOSBox's design (i.e. usng text-based configuration files and whatnot).

I do agree that it's a low-priority luxury, but it's something good to think about and discuss.