VOGONS

First post, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

Just noticed ykhwong's latest CVS build (http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm); the information on his homepage - DOSBox Daum Cafe - states that:

- The following patch is added.

* Glide emulation

Can anybody tell me where that came from??! I can't find it on SourceForge?! Or did Tae-woong write it himself? And, not unimportant, how well does it work currently?

Regards,

Ronald

Reply 2 of 16, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is extremly cool and awesome 😎

I decided to give it a go with Redguard, the only Glide game I'm really interested in. But I couldn't get it to work 🙁 Complained about the lack of DLL. So I got my old Voodoo2 drivers and took glide2x.dll and glide2x.ovl to both the DOSBox folder and the Redguard folder. It still didn't want to work, though 🙁 So I wonder, does it need special dlls and if so, where can I get those? If not, any idea what I did wrong? Cause guilikoza got Redguard to work.

Reply 3 of 16, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm...qbix & I discussed not to release it yet...but now that's it's out...

You need a special dosbox build of glide2x.ovl which needs to be in the game directory (or somewhere in the path)...I was thinking that the final patch might include this file on the z: drive. You also need a glide wrapper (like openglide) or a real 3dfx card with glide2x.dll in the dosbox or windows dir.

Reply 6 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the amount of DOS with Glide games are so few that testers aren't really needed for it. (Assuming that gulikoza has all of those games)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 16, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...I don't see any harm in testing it, but you should know there are still issues. Basically when glide is running, the wrapper has control of the dosbox window - that means no switching to fullscreen, fullfixed and such options will not work. Also some wrappers like to change screen resolution or set fullscreen by default. Do not change the port setting in dosbox.conf. It is currently hardcoded to 0x300 in glide2x.ovl so anything other than that will not work! What I am trying to say is that right now there is no support for this. If it works for you, enjoy it, if not wait till it's fixed.

Some games run slow and D3D wrappers (like psvoodoo) have some advantage in running these games faster. Other games just run slow 😀. Tomb Rider is an exception since it really benefits from glide - it runs very smoothly!

@Freddo: I didn't tell you, but RedGuard currently runs very slow in dosbox. But try it out anyway. Be sure to start the game with a low cycle count (about 15.000), then bump the cycles to about 40.000 when the game is loading (& it will still take a few minutes to load). My proc then maxes out at about 20.000 cycles in gameplay...

Attachments

• Filename
    Glide2x.zip
    File size
    33.59 KiB
    Downloads
    804 downloads
    File comment
    Glide emulation support files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 16, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gulikoza, I expected it to be very slow anyhow 😁 Thanks for the files 😀

I placed the GLIDE2X.OVL file in the Redguard folder, and Glide2x.dll in the DOSBox folder, but as soon I tried to start Redguard, Dosbox crashed. Tried another glidewrapper and the normal core, but the same thing 🙁

Reply 10 of 16, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I applied glide patch that gulikoza uploaded on 02/Nov/2005.
It seems dosbox crashes because of one or more of the experimental patches in my build. I'll try to see why it does not work.

[EDIT]
Would you test the attachment?

Reply 13 of 16, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ykhwong: apply this patch...should fix it:

--- memory.bak	Fri Nov  4 21:06:30 2005
+++ memory.cpp Fri Nov 4 21:41:52 2005
@@ -184,7 +184,8 @@
Bit32u * write=(Bit32u *) data;
size>>=2;
while (size--) {
- *write++=mem_readd_inline(pt++);
+ *write++=mem_readd_inline(pt);
+ pt+=4;
}
}

@@ -192,7 +193,8 @@
Bit32u * read=(Bit32u *) data;
size>>=2;
while (size--) {
- mem_writed_inline(pt++,*read++);
+ mem_writed_inline(pt,*read++);
+ pt+=4;
}
}

Reply 14 of 16, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, gulikoza.
Ah, sdl_sound library triggeed compilation error with glide patch because of 'param'. (error message : 'param' is defined twice.)

But I fixed it to change all the 'param' to 'parama', anyway.

Reply 15 of 16, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks ykhwong 😀

I tried the new exe and could now watch the Redguard intro! Yay! 😁 Unfortunally, Dosbox crashed when it should have started to load the gameplay level.